• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Grey Shrike: how fast can there fly? (1 Viewer)

davidearlgray

davidearlgray
Hi all, I am trying to solve a question and wonder what other people think, but how fast does a Great Grey Shrike fly in a straight point over a mile distance?
I look forward to your replies,
Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks Alan, I thought that as well. I'm just trying to prove a point as somebody doesn't believe that I saw two Great Grey Shrikes in the Vale of Belvoir in late March 2012.
Cheers,
Dave.

The simple expedient of typing in 'How fast do birds fly?' into Google resulted in a fairly consistent response that in normal circumstances, birds fly 'low and slow' and that something between 20-30 mph would be most likely. Hence a mile would be covered in 2-3 mins. However, as might be the case, a shrike could be chasing a small passerine which, one imagines, might exceed this speed in an attempt to escape although it probably wouldn't be flying in a straight line so the A to B speed might not be that much greater,

The simple expedient of typing in 'How fast do birds fly?' into Google

Can I just highlight that my answer was purely based on field experience of stumbling through clear fell trying to get a half decent picture of the species in the depths of winter and any suggestion of Google use is extremely distasteful. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back