• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tit fledgling? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
A wee coal tit flew into my living room window. Ran outside and he was fluttering around on the ground. When I picked him up he was obviously in distress, so I talked to him gently until he calmed down, took him into the house and checked him over. He could move his legs, flutter his wings and turn his head so no broken bones and he wasn't paralysed. Decided to try and help him through this so made a little nest for him and kept an eye on him. He seems to like sugar water, in moderation of course, just 2 or 3 drops to keep him from dehydrating and give him a little strength. The biggest challenge however will be seeing if he makes it through the night. Here he is not looking too happy right now, but he's alive.

220626-coalie01.jpg

Coalie survived his first night. He's a juvenile, so that would explain hitting my window. Young birds always seem to have to fly into glass windows to learn not to do it. He was quite active this morning so I took him outside again to see if he was ready to try flying. Nah, he went back to sleep in my hand after a few minutes so he's back in his nest on my desk. I'll try him again later.

coalie02.jpg

Hello,

thanks for helping a distressed bird!

I am not so sure, if a young bird of this age still needs its parents. I think he/she might be just old enough to survive on its own (thats the important question here. I hope others jump in).

But the prime aim must be to release it again until the bird is recovered. So my advice is to keep people away from the bird (water and some food is good, you made it right!) and let doors/windows etc. open

Best I think is to place Coalies in its nest out in the garden, from where it flew into your room? Are there many cats there (then maybe you can protect Coalie)? A sheltered place in the shadow (and water and some food) is good as said.

Hi George... as said this is a Great Tit fledgling, he still has the gape. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

Normally they recover within a couple of hours from a window strike, so I wonder if something more serious is going on? As insect eaters he'd appreciate meal worms (unless you can find some caterpillars ;) ), though tinned cat food is a good substitute (not sure why, but dog food isn't suitable).

Good luck.

He's doing well and thanks for all the advice. It's great to know he can most likely look after himself now. He's a lot better than he was yesterday, and we just went for a walk outdoors with him perched on my finger. There are great tits at my peanut feeder so I'll put him outside for a while and keep an eye on him.

220626-greattit03.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back