• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Scaup - Poland (2 Viewers)

AGDK

Hello

I just saw this duck tonight in the local harbour area with Tufted ducks.. To me it appeared different the other male of Tufted duck, and to me it looks like a Greater Scaup, but Tufted Duck vs Greater Scaups in their eclipse is not my strong side of experience, since Greater Scaup is usual only in the area from September to April and pretty rare during summer..

I don't see any sign on the feathers in the neck as the Tufted has, but I don't know if it can loose those as well during the eclipse period?

Thanks for any input..

Attachments

• Scaup.jpg
    Scaup.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Scaup1.jpg
    Scaup1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Scaup12.jpg
    Scaup12.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 61
I'm unsure. Head profile and eye placement seem correct for scaup to me. We expect a light grey vermiculated back which doesn't appear here (seems more like dark = tufted's) but I think this is due to the camera angle and we're not getting a true impression. Only a small black bill nail (scaup). But perhaps the dark rear does extend too far up the back (i.e. more like tufted). Again, camera angle is wrong to assess compactness of body—scaup should appear more elongate, drawn out. On balance I think probably scaup.

Thanks for your replies so far.. I have more pictures, also seen more from the side, but in worse quality and from bigger distance.. I can try to upload them tonight when I come home and maybe they can help better for the overall jizz..

After checking at home, I see know that it's clearly a Tufted Duck, since it has dark back on some of the pictures I got on a far distance.. So case closed!

Thanks for the hints! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back