• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Scaup subspecies ranges (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
Banks (1986) found that the Greater Scaup breeding and wintering in East Asia were indistinguishable from the pale backed nominate A. m. marila of Europe and this conclusion has been adopted by Clements and BNA. However other sources such as IOC, H&M4, HBW and "Birds of Japan" by Brazil (2018) apply the name A. m. nearctica to these East Asian birds. Who is right?

References:

Banks, R.C. (1986). "Subspecies of the Greater Scaup and their names" Wilson Bulletin. 98 (3): 433–444.

Carboneras, C. & Kirwan, G.M. (2018). Greater Scaup (Aythya marila). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from https://www.hbw.com/node/52912 on 2 October 2018).

Kessel, B., D. A. Rocque, and J. S. Barclay (2002). Greater Scaup (Aythya marila), version 2.0. In The Birds of North America (A. F. Poole and F. B. Gill, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bna.650

I don't know who is right but, on re-reading it ([here], p. 440, § 3), Banks' assessment of colour differences strikes me as a bit casual/subjective, actually... (Particularly considering that he appears to have been running against the opinion of all the earlier authors he cited -- who regarded E Asian birds as either intermediate, or closer to American birds.)

FWIW, I see no suggestion of a geographic structure in mtDNA.

BWP and HBW (print edition, 1992) use Aythya marila mariloides (Vigors, 1839) for the Pacific / N American subspecies; BWP adds that A. m. nearctica Stejneger, 1885 'American ... sometimes separated from mariloides ... recognition not warranted'.

No idea why IOC et al. don't accept the older name mariloides, if it is consubspecific with nearctica.

**Edit: I see the Banks paper points out mariloides is a synonym of Lesser Scaup A. affinis. Odd that HBW missed that, as it is 6 years later than Banks' paper. :t:

Last edited:
Thanks, but my understanding of the main point of Bank's paper is that the name mariloides is invalid as it was originally applied to the Lesser Scaup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back