• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenabella Marsh/Greatham Creek (1 Viewer)

mattwhite

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the Greenabella Marsh/Greatham Creek area as I would like to go and see the Avocets.

I have a rough idea of how to find it but was wondering about routes and how to view the place.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Julie - I had a look on the TBC website, not much info about these sites allthough some of the other sites have got some very good write-ups. Thanks for that.

What I was after was more of a strategy to viewing the place really. Sort of like: park here, head over to threre, then head along to.... I was wondering if any regular visitors to the place had set routes they followed to cover the sites.

Matt

matt if your car can get over the curb you can park right at the bridge if not slightly down the road on the right theres a carpark and you can walk back up towards the creek, first place i usually look is the bus stop hide which is on the old slip road you'l probably see it from the road.

you can walk either side of creek, theres an obvious path that leads to the seal sands hide on the same side as the bus stop hide, following this path leads to the hide overlooking sea lsands and you can turn right and follow the track down, theres another hide not too far down and you can keep following the track further to view more pools, reedbeds ect - that parts called the long drag.

if you walk back towards the road and cross the bridge the area between creek and huntsman tioxide is greenabella marsh, theres a worn path that drops you down onto the raised bankway that you can walk along this gives a good vantage over greenabella, if you follow this path down to seal sands and turn left you can walk along the sea wall, halfway down there is a hide among the reeds on your left giving a different viewpoint over the back of greenabella.

hope this helps - and wasnt too long winded !

dean

I found Greenabella on Saturday and had a great afternoon, although the wind was freezing!

Saw the Avocets as well as my first Wheatear, Twite and Meadow Pippit!

Can anyone tell me where the Long Drag is in relation to Seal Sands? I know it is close by but not sure which direction to head in.

Matt

The Avocets haven't really settled down properly yet. They're on the cockle shell island occasionally but mostly on the far side of the isalnd when I've been or on Greenabella Marsh on the north side of the Creek.

To reach the Long Drag walk down the south side of Greatham Creek between the wooden fences to the hide at the bottom and turn right. That's the start of the Long Drag. There's another hide and after the trees on the right there's several pools which are good for waders. The trees hold Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff though you have to view from the Long Drag itself.

The reeds on the left hold the likes of Reed Bunting, Stonechat and Sedge and Reed Warbler once they return. There's even a few Bearded Tit in winter though you have to fall lucky to see them. Plus of course at least three Short-eared Owl at present.

It's a fair walk though!

Just one point about Greenabella Marsh - I believe public only have access to the embankment alongside the Creek but not turning left along the sea wall nor use of the hide which I understand is only for Tioxide staff.

"Just one point about Greenabella Marsh - I believe public only have access to the embankment alongside the Creek but not turning left along the sea wall nor use of the hide which I understand is only for Tioxide staff."

Which hide is this Ian, The one on the North or the South side of the Creek?

"Just one point about Greenabella Marsh - I believe public only have access to the embankment alongside the Creek but not turning left along the sea wall nor use of the hide which I understand is only for Tioxide staff."

Which hide is this Ian, The one on the North or the South side of the Creek?

That just refers to the one on the north side of the Creek behind the sea wall. It faces west onto the marsh. There's actually another one opposite facing the sea wall. They are pretty hard to spot unless you know where to look.

The ones on the south side of the Creek are all open to the public to use.

Thanks Ian.

How come there is only a chance to see the Bearded Tits in the winter? Do they move on or are they just harder to see in the spring/summer?

Matt

Thanks Ian.

How come there is only a chance to see the Bearded Tits in the winter? Do they move on or are they just harder to see in the spring/summer?

Matt

Some may well stay but I read somewhere they're thought to migrate here for the winter from the Netherlands. I know a few have been ringed over winter on the Long Drag in previous years so that may be the source of the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back