• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Ontario! (and a stupid question...) (1 Viewer)

Kacky-bird

|<| Hello!

My husband and I moved into a new home on a half acre in the country a month ago. (YAY!!!) The sellers went home to England and left a few things with us. Some very nice furniture actually, a freezer, this and that. Oh - and 3 birdfeeders (hanging in the huge maple outside my kitchen window), half a bag of bird seed and an Encyclopedia of North American Birds.

Children, this is how monsters are created!

So, I have a new hobby and am enjoying the heck out of it. My maple is a flippin aviary every morning and late afternoon - I now have 13 birds on my life list on E-bird thank you very much! And I am so happy to have found this forum as I have buckets of questions. I've searched and found a few answers, however, the answer to the dumbest question I have has sadly eluded me. So. Here goes...

Where do they go at night??? <

Please be gentle.

And thanks for a wonderful forum, I look forward to waaay too much time spent here!

Kathy

Welcome to the forum Kathy. It's a great hobby. Most song birds roost in the trees at night, if they aren't migrating. The bend in their legs tightens up the tendons in their feet so they keep a grip on the twig while they sleep.

Cheers,
Scott

Greetings from Ontario...

cavan wood said:
Welcome to the forum Kathy. It's a great hobby. Most song birds roost in the trees at night, if they aren't migrating. The bend in their legs tightens up the tendons in their feet so they keep a grip on the twig while they sleep.

Cheers,
Scott

Thank you Scott! Silly, but it has been driving me bananas!

Kathy

Hi, Kathy! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Your post gave me a good chuckle. A fellow bird addict has been born! :t:

Look forward to hearing about the birds you're seeing in your yard.

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Kathy! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Your post gave me a good chuckle. A fellow bird addict has been born! :t:

Look forward to hearing about the birds you're seeing in your yard.

Thanks so much for the welcome, y'all!

I'm so grateful to the previous owners for "getting me started," but sorry I came into this so late. I've been in Canada for 3 years, and prior to that I lived in 5 different states in the U.S. When I think of all the birds I've missed just not paying attention...

Oh well, when I go back for visits I'll be checking here for tips first!

Kathy

Welcome, Kathy. I'm new to the forum, too. There are no stupid questions. You just answered one that many people have probably wondered about (including me). Enjoy your new hobby.

chrispie said:
Welcome, Kathy. I'm new to the forum, too. There are no stupid questions. You just answered one that many people have probably wondered about (including me). Enjoy your new hobby.

Oh thank goodness! Glad I'm not the only one!

Kathy

This is truly a global forum! I have only been involved with 2 other message boards and they were predominately US boards. This is going to be really neat! (Did I just say neat???)

Now Wally, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beav?

Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back