• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-headed Woodpecker and Eagle Owl (1 Viewer)

Reader

I was hoping to have had some replies on the other threads I had posted but apart from good information on the White-backed Woodpecker via PM I have had nothing else.

I am going over to France on Friday (Nov 6th) starting off on the Eurotunnel at 1.20am. I will be driving through France then into Spain before coming back through France and then catching the Eurotunnel towards home on Dec 21st.

The two birds in the subject title (apart from White-backed Woodpecker) are my main target birds. Also Tengmalms Owl would be a Lifer but it looks doubtful that I will connect with this bird, unless any BF members know differently.

I will be staying off Toll roads and the only places in France I know I am looking at so far on the way down is the Vezere Valley in the Dordogne then onto the Midi Pyrenees around Gavarnie.

If anyone knows any reliable G.H Woodpecker sites on the way down I would be grateful for the info. Likewise an Eagle Owl site would be equally gratefully received.

Regards
Joihn

If anyone knows any reliable G.H Woodpecker sites on the way down I would be grateful for the info. Likewise an Eagle Owl site would be equally gratefully received.

Can't help you with site info. The Woodpecker you should get with reasonable hours spent birding. Eagle Owl only with precice site info, but info on Eagle Owl roosts is normally not given publicly. You'd need to get into contact with local birders in the region you go.

Thanks but do you, or anyone, know any places I should try on the way down from Calais for the Woodpecker.

John

Can't help you with site info. The Woodpecker you should get with reasonable hours spent birding. Eagle Owl only with precice site info, but info on Eagle Owl roosts is normally not given publicly. You'd need to get into contact with local birders in the region you go.

The woods around the Lac de Der have Grey-headed Woodpecker, and there should be the spectacle of all the Common Cranes in that area too, a shame to miss that as you head south.

Thanks Richard but that is too far over. I will be going via Rouen, Limoges and Montauban before stopping for a few nights near Saint Gaudens.

I will call into the Vezere Valley, Dordogne on the way down and was looking for sites within the area of drive from Calais southwards.

Regarding Cranes. I will be going to a few Crane sites I know in Spain so I certainly won't miss out on any of them.

John

Thanks Richard but that is too far over. I will be going via Rouen, Limoges and Montauban before stopping for a few nights near Saint Gaudens.

John

Ah I see - my book a Birdwatching Guide to France South of the Loire mentions afew pairs in the forest of Branconne (Angoulême area, so not too far from Limoges. They are an unobtrusive species apart from Jan to March, but you never know your luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back