• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Wagtail in my garden! (1 Viewer)

deborah4

:bounce:

For the first time ever, I saw a grey wagtail in the garden this morning. However, I didn't even know what it was, being inexperienced birder! I knew it was some kind of wagtail immediately but up untill now have only heard of the pied. Took some (very bad) pics through window, downloaded onto PC and checked Collins. Low and behold, a new species for me, a grey wagtail. Was going to post on BF for definate ID but went birding this afternoon with BF friend and we saw two more greys which he positively id-ed for me.

Very very exiting as only yesterday I was thinking why do I only get all the boring (yet lovely) regular visitors. Great Christmas present!

It stayed on the ground - seemed to be eating discarded greenfinch seeds from feeder - wagged around for a few minutes then flew off.

Beautiful

deborah4 said:
:bounce:

For the first time ever, I saw a grey wagtail in the garden this morning. However, I didn't even know what it was, being inexperienced birder! I knew it was some kind of wagtail immediately but up untill now have only heard of the pied. Took some (very bad) pics through window, downloaded onto PC and checked Collins. Low and behold, a new species for me, a grey wagtail. Was going to post on BF for definate ID but went birding this afternoon with BF friend and we saw two more greys which he positively id-ed for me.

Very very exiting as only yesterday I was thinking why do I only get all the boring (yet lovely) regular visitors. Great Christmas present!

It stayed on the ground - seemed to be eating discarded greenfinch seeds from feeder - wagged around for a few minutes then flew off.

I had one of these in the garden (in County Down) for the first time a couple of months ago. It stayed for a good while - I was out in the greenhouse at the time and had a great view, but had no binoculars, camera, etc out there. Funnily enough, pied wagtails do not often come around our house, but I did notice one under the bird feeder last week - that for me was also a nice spot - they are such perky litttle birds and always seem to be saying "look at me".

I spent a month or so trying to find one of these exquisite birds.. i spent time with a more experience birder by Staines Reserviour and we mananged to see a fleeting glimpse of them in flight.. blow me down from that moment on I see them everywhere.. bouncing down the High Street, in the parks.. this seems to happen so often to me.

What's incredible is to see a 'new species' for the first time then to see another two later on the same day, like you say Dylan, it just 'blows you down'. I expect lots of birders have had the same experience. Bye the way, I rarely get pied wagtails either Joyce, which is another reason I was so delighted!

Congratulations. I am interested that you find Pied Wagtails scarce - it strikes me that they are becoming commoner.

Hi Deborah, I usually get one or two greys in the Autumn visiting my small pond, unusually for this time of year I also had one in my garden today. They're a great looking bird and a pleasure to see at any time.

David FG said:
Congratulations. I am interested that you find Pied Wagtails scarce - it strikes me that they are becoming commoner.

I don't think I said pied wagtails are scarce, there's plenty around my locality, I just haven't had many in my garden. Largely, I suspect, due to cats as they seem to be a ground feeder. Even so, regardless, I would never presume that just because I see a bird in my garden rarely or for the first time it is scarce generally - I have a regular garden list which actually does not vary in terms of species that visit ranging from frequent to every so often. I begin to worry when I don't see Greenfinches, tits, wrens, blackbirds, robins, jays, greatl and blue tit, magpies, starlings and house sparrows. Thrushes - vary rarely, pied wagtails - very rarely, long-tailed tits - very rarely, yet very common generally. Never seen a bullfinch or goldfinch in the garden either but again very common birds. The buzz this time was that not only was the grey a new species for me in my own garden (one that I managed to id myself! :bounce: ) but also a first visit - and then to see the 2 more the same day at another location! (so definitely not scarce!)

Last edited:
Johnny1 said:
Hi Deborah, I usually get one or two greys in the Autumn visiting my small pond, unusually for this time of year I also had one in my garden today. They're a great looking bird and a pleasure to see at any time.

Can't tell you what a buzz it was to see one for the first time, they almost look like tropical birds with that wonderful yellow!

Last edited:
Yes, Grey Wags seem to be increasingly seen in urban areas but they are very site specific. In Brackley (Northants) for instance, I see them every winter but only in the Coop car park or in nearby Halls Lane - never anywhere else. There must be something there that they like. I wonder what it is and has anyone got any theories as to what it is that attracts them to certain places. Perhaps they associate reflections from shiny cars with water.

The Commodore said:
Yes, Grey Wags seem to be increasingly seen in urban areas but they are very site specific. In Brackley (Northants) for instance, I see them every winter but only in the Coop car park or in nearby Halls Lane - never anywhere else. There must be something there that they like. I wonder what it is and has anyone got any theories as to what it is that attracts them to certain places. Perhaps they associate reflections from shiny cars with water.

Hi Commodore

Interesting theory 'bout shiny cars - Ive got two birdbaths in the garden which may have attracted the Grey I saw - is there anything in Halls Lane which you think might attract them there specifically? I hope other members might have a few suggestions, it would be great to try and 'cultivate' an attraction to a specific locality (such as one returning to my garden!!! :king:) if we knew what it was.

We have had a breeding pair behind our recepion area at work for the last two years.

There are a couple of ponds with a water cascade from one to the other. The whole area is only about 6 square metres. They nest in a hole in the wall.

They seem to spend a lot of time on the flat roofs on the site where there are puddles of rainwater and the lawn outside our canteen (which is mostly clover and daisys).

Haven't seen them around since the oil refinery explosion made a bit of a mess of the site though I hope they have survived.

I'd say water (preferably running) is a good way to start attracting these striking birds.

By the way I had a Grey Wagtail and a Green Woodpecker in the garden for the first time over the Christmas holiday.

deborah4 said:
Interesting theory 'bout shiny cars

Funny you should mention it; have had Greys at my pond for a few years, but for the first time had two on the sunroof of my car in a busy shopping centre carpark.. interesting to hear if it's just sun rooves.

They are attractive birds aren't they.

Andrew

Had a grey wagtail visit my garden once last year, I however see them at most of my sites I visit mainly near to water. As a postman I see many pied wagtails feeding in the streets this time of the year while on my deliveries. One lone pied is visiting my garden daily at the moment.

Rod.

deborah4 said:
Hi Commodore

Interesting theory 'bout shiny cars - Ive got two birdbaths in the garden which may have attracted the Grey I saw - is there anything in Halls Lane which you think might attract them there specifically? I hope other members might have a few suggestions, it would be great to try and 'cultivate' an attraction to a specific locality (such as one returning to my garden!!! :king:) if we knew what it was.

Yes, water seems to be the common denominator. The Coop car park drains very badly so there often massive puddles.

The Raptor said:
Had a grey wagtail visit my garden once last year, I however see them at most of my sites I visit mainly near to water. As a postman I see many pied wagtails feeding in the streets this time of the year while on my deliveries. One lone pied is visiting my garden daily at the moment.

Rod.

:hi: Hi Rod

For the first time in two years I had a visit today from a male lone Pied this morning. I think he was feeding on some of the ground food I'd put out (crushed wholeweat rivita, wild seed, and fat shavings). He's just returned for another visit so hopefully I'll have a regular too! If yours is a female, maybe we should introduce them and have a few more regulars 3:) :bounce:

The Commodore said:
Yes, water seems to be the common denominator. The Coop car park drains very badly so there often massive puddles.

I bought an extra bird bath a few months ago so that might explain the Grey in my garden.

Grey Wagtail was back again today!! I wonder if it was the same one as before.

Pied wagtail now regular visitor too!

There's a fairly new Tescos with very large car-park just round the corner from me??! but definitely no running streams or rivers ... seems to like the bits dropped from feeders.

Last edited:
Wagtails

I spotted one on the Cricket ground near me on Sunday. Walked past there today and there is a pair. Nice.

Well done deborah

I have managed to keep hold of One in the garden but it is costing a small fortune in Mealworm.....the sucker.

No Pied Wag yet for me though.

Hope it returns.

Sleeper said:
Well done deborah

I have managed to keep hold of One in the garden but it is costing a small fortune in Mealworm.....the sucker.

No Pied Wag yet for me though.

Hope it returns.

:hi: Hey Sleeper - Guess What! It returned today - several times - danced circles round a few wood pigeons and then came back to feed with the Pied.
I watched it for a good 15 minutes at close range (some crummy pics - must get my windows cleaned!)

These birds just amaze me - the way they move! Like a little robotic toy dog on springs! :'D

Both the wags are feeding on suet mix crumbs (cheaper than mealworm!) - songthrush likes it too!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back