• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (3 Viewers)

Tuesday evening CL pits initially i thought it was quiet distant cuckoo calling , single great crested grebe chick , and another brood of grey-lag geese gosling's X 6. Very few hurrindines over the water , but on reaching the gate north causeway a drake garganey was sat on the west shore of main pit ,and some proper record shots ensued on very limited battery life . Sorry. That was at 8:00 pm , moving down to the next gate on west shore lost the bird completely and after 10 mins scanning moved on. Saw only 1 redshank which was usual. South causeway 8:30 pm hobby catching insects brilliant views . 9:10 pm garganey relocated on east shore main pit.

Attachments

• P1010656.JPG
    P1010656.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010658.JPG
    P1010658.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 41
Thursday evening very overcast light rain ,Holt, 5 dunlin, 4LRP, 2 redshank, common tern.
Camp Lane Pits at 8:00 a pair of little egrets landed on the east shore and after 5 minutes, mated. At 8:30 flew off south west. Mallard and coot still producing broods with the former well over a dozen but other species are not doing so well . Lapwing no hatched chicks seen and the redshank was probably predated last week by jackdaws and not defending the territory now may confirm this .
No hurrindines seen at all which is unfortunate as the midges are starting to bite.

Had a quick count from the entrance north end ,gadwall 40,tufted 39, mute swan 24. 4 pairs of great crested grebe ,1 with a single chick .

Sunday morning ,after having a week in North Wales [95 species seen ,17 new for the year] it was nice to have a leisurely stroll around grimley. Two broods of gadwall only a few days old ,9 and 7, and first cygnets[5] joined the ever increasing fresh broods of coot and mallard. Single great crested grebe chick doing well ,and 3 redshanks were actively keeping all species of crow away from the hippo pool.
A rather bedraggled drake garganey was on the east side main pool may have started to moult but does not look like recent pictures taken over the last week.A snipe was also flushed by the causeway.
Holt appeared quiet with LRPS and a small flock of mixed gulls . Went to the castle to see if spotted flycatchers were about but the only flycatchers I saw were sparrows and chaffinch.

Attachments

• P1010713.JPG
    P1010713.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 46
Thursday evening dipped on the flycatchers again so moved on to CLPits. The swan nesting by the north causeway had hatched 2 cygnets and later one down on the fishing pools by the river had 3 cygnets . On the east side hippo pool 2 newly hatched redshank chicks , not the best of places so hopefully they will move elsewhere quickly.
Another gadwall brood with 8 and a little grebe with 2 on the main pit. Today was the first visit I didn’t see or hear a cuckoo in 13 consecutive visits , have they laid in a nest nearby?
A scarlet tiger moth was seen by the river ,got to be one of Britain’s most exotic moths.

:t:Sunday morning,overcast with showers southerly wind, c100 mixed swift ,sand martin flock with a couple of swallow and house martin over main pit .2 hobbies in dead oak, one seen catching the numerous dragonflies an hour later. Redshank pair on patrol, youngsters not seen but could be anywhere in the long grass. 2 more little grebe families ,2+2, and the first tufted duck family c7 . 2 pairs of common tern neither show any sign yet that they are going to breed. Swan numbers have risen to over 70 now, and gadwall numbers similar at 62 probably more . Pair of LRPs still on west shore as is a lone shoveller drake . Wagon wheel quiet with only a mandarin of interest.
Sling and holt castle 4 LRP 'S ,2 Oyc's and another shoveller the best. Spotted flycatcher on castle /garden wall new for me old for everyone else :t:

Attachments

• P1010724.JPG
    P1010724.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi Jim,

I thought you might be interested to know that a Little Owl was showing well in and around the old favoured tree (viewed from the river side) at the weekend. First time I've seen one there in a long while.

Patch

Sunday morning, the weather keeps turning up warm dry days and wether it's this reason or just a good year for all insects. I haven't seen so much greenfly on sycamore for years , flying insects everywhere dragonflies , maybugs, and at night moths coming to windows and street lamps--unheard of
Sling pool 2 barnicle geese 5 LRP's a redshank 3 green sandpipers the best. 60+ large gulls but could not find the yellow legged gull seen on previous days . I've had no experience with this species so i've probably overlooked it .
Camp Lane pits redshank youngster now as large as a dunlin, 3 little egrets highest count of the year so far. Well over 100 adult coot on the main pool and 6 herons. Marbled whites and first large skipper of the year north end bank.
I wondered what they had planted in the church farm field and it turns out to be cornflowers --nice surprise

Attachments

• P1010730.JPG
    P1010730.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010734 (800x600).jpg
    P1010734 (800x600).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 33
Recap Tuesday evening sling/Holt common sand ,2 green sand, 2 barnacle geese hobby over twice , and a very small lapwing chick with 60+ large gulls.
Camp lane 2 common sand 2 little egrets
Thursday evening sling/Holt barnacle geese absent, lapwing chick still and common sand .
Camp lane adult redshank with 3 chicks east shore as was a snipe and 3 teal. 6 first summer common gulls sat on posts, another tufted duck brood of 4? Common tern incubating on east shore , not the best of places, should of chose an island chose an island . Crows and magpies in attendance . Water level has dropped about an inch per day so Upton warren must be praying for rain.
Kingfisher seen along the river first for several months ,2 brown hare in the fields and a large otter swimming down river calling .

Attachments

• P1010743.JPG
    P1010743.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 36
:-CTuesday evening, Sling pool 2 small lapwing chicks now and growing well. 2 green sandpiper, 4 LRP, 5 herons .
Camp lane the 3 redshank youngsters are now flying with the parents. 30 black-headed gulls with 2 juveniles were catching insects over the east shore. Common gull,2nd sum, drake eclipse garganey east shore. 400+ starlings with about 1/3rd juveniles flying between south east and west shoreline vegetation .
Although I stayed until 11.00pm still no sign of little owl. l:(l

Thursday evening Sling /Holt quiet but farming activity,so on to Camp Lane. I didn’t count but must be close to 400 birds ,various, on the water including another brood of tufted duck of 9. 2 common sandpiper ,oyc, 30+ lapwing and the redshank family.
Staked out an area by the river and was surprised to see a Male redstart ,9 :30pm in a hedgerow a couple of days before last years first sighting. A badger was rotavating the field (perhaps the Columbain football team have been watching a video of this animal), and a little owl seen and heard on a line of fence posts ,at last , almost 2 years since the last sighting.

Sunday morning the water level shrinks back another inch , 5 LRP’s on west shore ,but moved on . 2 more broods of tufted duck 5 and 6 . Lesser whitethroat south causeway along with reed and sedge warblers feeding young birds. Numerous gatekeepers were new for the year . Kingfisher calling along the river.

Thursday evening, Sling pool green sandpiper, lapwings + chick, LRP and a jay. Camp lane hobby sitting in dead alders, occasional foray, male garganey, first summer common tern and a kingfisher N. end. Only the second sighting at the pits this year ,and later 2 kingfishers on the south causeway.
Green woodpecker and another kingfisher along river with 2 brown hare , fox and badger surrounding fields.
A pic of one of the emperor dragonflies.

Attachments

• P1010769.JPG
    P1010769.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 32
44 species recorded (although there were very likely more around, particularly passerines) this morning across Camp Lane, Sling Pool and Holt Church. My first visit, will be back, lovely spot.

Dipped on the Spotted Flycatchers at Holt Castle - rapidly becoming my 2018 bogey bird.

Male Garganey in moult at the north end of Camp Lane.
Redshank x 2 along the western side.
Common Tern x 6
Sparrowhawk
Dozens of very obliging Reed Warbler.

Green Sandpiper x 1 at Sling Pool

Good to bump into you again, Jim

Nice to see you again Rob, nothing to add on the bird front but couple of brown argus butterflies along with a marbled white, and more emporer and black tailed skimmers about. As an afterthought back up to 2 lapwing chicks sling pool.

Does anyone know if swans hatch over several days as on 3 separate occasions i've counted hatched cygnets and then on the next visit the number has increased ?

Tuesday evening sling pool 3 green sandpiper and 31 lapwing . Camp Lane both little grebe and great crested grebe feeding young. Male garganey flew from hippo pool to main pit. Small numbers of all 3 hurrindines present and a few swifts. 6 little egrets my highest number this year so far and a kingfisher again southern causeway.
Pictures from Sunday

Attachments

• P1010779.JPG
    P1010779.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010780.JPG
    P1010780.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 27
Thursday evening sling pool 4 green sandpiper ,LRP and 5 herons. Camp Lane kestrel on arriving , 5 common tern very active , no redshank . 3 snipe along east shore with singles of garganey and teal. 7 little egrets and kingfisher again southern causeway. Also sedge, reed , chiffchaff and maybe a young garden warbler , i’ll Have to return for a better look to confirm. Redstart M . along river field hedgerows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back