• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (2 Viewers)

The flooded fields at Holt were a bit more active than of late this morning - 70 lapwing, pair of gadwall with male displaying, 40+ coot, 92 Canada geese plus a white farm goose, 1 teal, 6 tufteds, 2 mallard, 2 mute swan, 1 moorhen plus a flock of ~ 150 stralings

Mike

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As you may or may not be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Many Thanks
Jason

This afternoon.....

Holt Sling Pool Floods:

1 Curlew, 1 Dunlin, 453 Lapwing, c.400 Starling, 7 Wigeon, 12 Shoveler and 8 Tufted Duck were of note.

Top Barn - Sailing Pool:
Peregrine through heading South.

22 Stock Dove in field opposite entrance to Top Barn

Met up with a few others at Camp Lane on Sunday evening,they were early and saw the Peregrine fly off to Worcester.....and we hoped to see the Starlings.
Not dissapointed as well....we were told it was not a vintage display but I loved it.They just kept coming ....whirling around and skimming over the water.
The sunset did not play ball - only there as the sun actually went down.

Keith :t:

Attachments

• OLY murm1.jpg
    OLY murm1.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 112
Met up with a few others at Camp Lane on Sunday evening,they were early and saw the Peregrine fly off to Worcester.....and we hoped to see the Starlings.
Not dissapointed as well....we were told it was not a vintage display but I loved it.They just kept coming ....whirling around and skimming over the water.
The sunset did not play ball - only there as the sun actually went down.

Keith :t:

lovely shot Keith

Fairly quiet on the Camp Lanes Pits yesterday, but a female Goosander (which appeared to be colour ringed) was on the main lake with small numbers of Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Pochard.

The floods have hit the local area badly, with the northern half of Grimley village starting to go under. Some photos of the recent flooding (and the Goosander) can be found here.

Surely it's about time for a Smew?

A pair of Oystercatcher were at Island Pool this afternoon, with 5 Green Sandpiper and 15+ Common Snipe in the adjacent flooded field.

At least 5 Brambling were feeding with a large Goldfinch flock south of the Camp Lane Pits, along a footpath that runs along the western outskirts of Green Park Arboretum towards Grimley Camp House Inn. On the Camp Lane Pits themselves, the only noticeable new arrivals were a flock of 40+ Wigeon. Photos here.

A pair of Oystercatcher were at Island Pool this afternoon, with 5 Green Sandpiper and 15+ Common Snipe in the adjacent flooded field.

At least 5 Brambling were feeding with a large Goldfinch flock south of the Camp Lane Pits, along a footpath that runs along the western outskirts of Green Park Arboretum towards Grimley Camp House Inn. On the Camp Lane Pits themselves, the only noticeable new arrivals were a flock of 40+ Wigeon. Photos here.

lovely shots Bill cannot see widgeon only lapwing :t:

Great bit of blogage Bill. sent you a PM ;)

A wary Ruddy Shelduck was on the main pit at Grimley this evening (although it was gone a few minutes after I arrived) with 10 Lapwing, 3 Oystercatcher and a pair of Redshank. Images here. I notice a RS flew over Upper Bittell reservoir yesterday.

Some pretty decent spring passage finally got going this past week with a pair of Garganey and an adult Little Gull. Also two Wheatears, White Wagtails (up to four at once), a Yellow Wagtail briefly along with regular Sand Martins and Swallows.

Waders have increased with up to 8 Oystercatchers and up to 9 Redshanks and a passage Ringed Plover has lingered for a few days while 2 or 3 of the wintering Green Sandpipers are still hanging on.

Brian

Monday 7th April 2014:

At Camp Lane pits this afternoon there were 4 Redshank, 2 Oystercatcher, 3 Wigeon (2♂) and 2 White Wagtails of note.

At the Old Workings there was a single Oystercatcher on Island Pool.

Wagon Wheel Lane pits held 4 Oystercatchers. 2 Graylags were present with the Canada Geese.

At Holt Sling Pool there was 1 Green Sandpiper, 2 Redshank and 6 Common Snipe of note.

Jase

Sun 13th April......

Over to Grimmers - i must say, Brian, i like what you've done with the place The water levels are looking good for passage waders now that the 'Great Flood' is just a distant memory.

Warbler-wise very quiet with just a couple each of singing Blackcaps and Chiffchaff. Ducks represented by Mallard, Teal, Gadwall, Shoveler, a distant small female Teal-type thing shot off so it might have been a Garganey i do'nt know if one has been lingering as there has'nt been any recent postings from the site. Lapwing, Redshank (at least 3) and a minimum of 5 LRP's but no passage waders noted. Swallow and House Martin but no Sand certainly none that i saw.

Lots of 'alba' Wagtails with a minimum of 5 'Whites' but no 'flava' seen or heard Will this be another blank annum?

Over to the Wagon Wheel pits - only half a dozen large gulls but included was an adult Yellow-Legged. Lighting conditions were very good which meant the mantle was washed out and it looked like a nearby Herring until it flew about. 4 noisy Oystercatchers and a mix of ducks including Gadwall. Buzzard and Sparrowhawk (a large female) were seen. A quick mooch the other side of the quarry to the reedbed only produced a male Reed Bunting. I was surprised that there was a complete absence of Acros both streaked and un-streaked but it made a nice change and finished with a pint and a cob down at the Camp House PH (nee Deliverance Arms).....

Back next week to give it another bashing.

Laurie:t:

Two male Ruff were a welcome surprise during a brief visit late afternoon - pics below.

Other bits and bobs included 4+ Yellow Wagtails, 2 White Wagtails, Dunlin and 2 Common Sandpipers, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat and decent numbers of hirundines.

Brian

Attachments

• Ruff_Grimley_20.04.14_BRS_1.jpg
    Ruff_Grimley_20.04.14_BRS_1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Ruff_Grimley_20.04.14_BRS_2.jpg
    Ruff_Grimley_20.04.14_BRS_2.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 85
Can anyone confirm the id of this bird. I think it's a Black Tailed Godwit but not sure ?
Got it today with 2 Redshank

Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back