• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (3 Viewers)

The blue on segment 8 of the abdomen as well as segment 9 & 10 indicate that it is Erythromma viridulum- the Small red eyed Damselfly as you mentioned Phil..

Sunday morning CLP Kingfisher and 5 L.Egrets and a snipe. Away from the water not much activity but i did find blackcaps and bullfinches feeding on Elderberries. Wagon Wheel quiet with only a fly over Green sand. Along the river Common sand and another Kingfisher. Met Roger B. at the South end who informed me of a female Garganey on CLP east shore. I couldn't locate it but it was really hot and could of been hiding up anywhere. Hopefully it will stay a while as did the previous autumn bird of 2018, may even be the same bird.
Whilst looking for the above, 4 snipe and 5 Egyptian geese North end.

Attachments

• P1020429.JPG
    P1020429.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 36
Sunday morning CLP Kingfisher and 5 L.Egrets and a snipe. Away from the water not much activity but i did find blackcaps and bullfinches feeding on Elderberries. Wagon Wheel quiet with only a fly over Green sand. Along the river Common sand and another Kingfisher. Met Roger B. at the South end who informed me of a female Garganey on CLP east shore. I couldn't locate it but it was really hot and could of been hiding up anywhere. Hopefully it will stay a while as did the previous autumn bird of 2018, may even be the same bird.
Whilst looking for the above, 4 snipe and 5 Egyptian geese North end.

What was the mix of ages for the 5 Egyptian Geese Jim?

What was the mix of ages for the 5 Egyptian Geese Jim?

If you look at the previous photo ,and I have had to doctor it as the light was very strong it looks like 2 adult and 3 young and I may of missed a youngster among the Canada’s as 6 individuals have been reported .

If you look at the previous photo ,and I have had to doctor it as the light was very strong it looks like 2 adult and 3 young and I may of missed a youngster among the Canada’s as 6 individuals have been reported .

Thanks Jim - the 2+3 mix matches the recent occurrence at Upton Warren

Hi Jim,

The Garganey was present on Friday afternoon (23rd) but not seen since as far as I know.

I met Roger Blackmore at the south end CLP and he said a female garganey was along the North East shore of the main pit. Couldn’t confirm and couldn’ t see any likely candidates either , the light was really bad and everything in silhouette .

Thursday evening ,Sling 4 green sandpiper.
CLP ‘s lots of activity,50+ house Martin over North end and between 6:15 and 7:00 450+ black headed gulls and 20 LLB gulls landed and washed on the main pit , all leaving South 7:15 . Then ducks started to arrive in small bunches mallard and gadwall at first then a group of 4 pochard (1male) and a female garganey. 70 cormorant roosted in the dead trees and at 8:15 , 8 Little Egrets had arrived to roost.

Nice one Jim. Spoke to Roger B. and that is the first sighting of Garganey since last Friday afternoon (23rd). Wonder if it's been lurking over at the old workings/WW or if it's a new bird?

There was a juvenile Ruff at CLP earlier in the day.

Last edited:
2 Hobbies seen this morning, one hunting over the water the other up and down the edge of the wood. Red Kite flew south from the wood towards the southern edge of the water.

Yellow wagtail dropped into the muddy area just below the causeway where the cattle are.

Sunday morning CLP early morning yellow wagtail west shore but had disappeared by the time I had crossed from the East shore , replaced by 2 dunlin . Green sand and snipe ,hippo.
Large flock of goldfinches in the chicory (100+) maybe closer to 200, and raven over. Green sand along the river.
Back at CLP (12:00am) ,2 yellow wagtails 2 dunlin still, hobby .
Sling 3 green sand ,7 shovellor and 100+ Canada geese.

From Thursday evening 1 dunlin still and a kingfisher on hippo . 5 swifts over late evening the first I’ve seen for a month .
300+ large gulls came in for a wash between 7:15 and 8:00 pm, all seemed to be LLB but they did land at the south end in poor light. 150 black headed gulls main pit . Canada geese arrived between 7 :45 and 8:30 in batches of c20 every few minutes from all directions ,quite a spectacle . 5 little egrets roosted.

Osprey over at just before 2pm. Put pretty much everything up from the pools. Headed south, towards Worcester.

Attachments

• IMG_5882j.jpg
    IMG_5882j.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thursday evening kingfisher and Dunlin still. At 7:00 a black-tailed godwit landed on the west shore and was still present when I left at 8:20. 8 little Egrets roosted.

Attachments

• P1020440.JPG
    P1020440.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 76
  • P1020443.JPG
    P1020443.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 67
Autumn alldayer list from 6:00pm ————-> LBB gull,BH gull, med. gull , great crested grebe, little grebe, moorhen, coot, mute swan, Canada goose, gadwall, mallard, teal, tufted duck, kingfisher, heron, little egret (8) , lapwing, black-tailed godwit, common sandpiper, green sandpiper, snipe (4), barn owl , little owl(2), robin , dunnock, blackbird, woodpigeon, stock dove, collared dove, c crow, jackdaw, magpie, jay, cormorant, blue tit, great tit, wren, greenfinch, goldfinch, skylark, starling, swallow, house Martin , chiffchaff, sedge warbler, pheasant, sparrow hawk, buzzard, kestrel, green woodpecker, great spotted woodpecker and pied wagtails.

Sunday morning black-tailed godwit, hobby and kingfisher the best . Lost black retractable dog lead west shore footpath . Don't ask.
Picture of 1 of the little owls from last night . You will have to use your imagination a bit ,taken at about 200 yards into the sun 7:00pm.

Attachments

• P1020453.JPG
    P1020453.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 92
Tuesday evening CLP black-tailed godwit still, kingfisher causeway, seeing this bird frequently now . A wheatear was on the west shore 6 to 6:30 and a young ruff drop in for no more than 10 mins at C7:00 pm. Then headed East towards Upton Warren .

Attachments

• P1020456.JPG
    P1020456.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020461.JPG
    P1020461.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 69
Sunday morning CLP’s black-tailed Godwit still , hobby , kingfisher and 11 snipe. A few house martins still about and a small number of swallows flying through. Red legged partridge east shore first l’ve seen for a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back