• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gruiformes and Charadriiformes (3 Viewers)

This is the same paper that was discussed around New Years, correct? And not a new article?
Interesting. There are significant differences between the cladograms - including much of what was identified as 'unusual' in this very thread.

For example:
  • Rhinoptilus group of coursers is once again monophyletic
  • asiatica is back within Eupoda, sibling to orientalis
  • Oystercatchers divided into New World and Old World groups, in line with other studies
  • Actophilornis is once again monophyletic
  • longicaudus is back as sibling to parasiticus in Stercorarius
  • Lymnocryptes is sibling to woodcocks, not godwits

Interesting. There are significant differences between the cladograms - including much of what was identified as 'unusual' in this very thread.

For example:
  • Rhinoptilus group of coursers is once again monophyletic
  • asiatica is back within Eupoda, sibling to orientalis
  • Oystercatchers divided into New World and Old World groups, in line with other studies
  • Actophilornis is once again monophyletic
  • longicaudus is back as sibling to parasiticus in Stercorarius
  • Lymnocryptes is sibling to woodcocks, not godwits
Some of divergence dates also seem difficult. IIRC, the split between Seedsnipe and Plains Wanderer was a lot younger in the last version.

Gallinago undulata sister to Coenocorypha
I wonder if this position is based on genes or morphology - would be nice to see the supplementary files

Some of divergence dates also seem difficult. IIRC, the split between Seedsnipe and Plains Wanderer was a lot younger in the last version.
Yes, you do remember correctly. It was dated at c. 28 mya in the first incarnation, and c. 37 mya in the new version.

PS -- Gallinago undulata sister to Coenocorypha is due to cox1 sequences. (Nothing else has been sequenced from G. undulata.)

Blast from the past (10 years ago...) : Scolopaci

Last edited:

The time calibration of this genus is shorter than the Charadriiformes paper

Last edited:

The time calibration of this genus is shorter than the Charadriiformes paper

N. borealis as sibling to N. americanus is certainly an interesting result.

My question will seem confusing but how many authors have independently described the genus Tringa? The first is Linnaeus but what are the others? Besides, were these really independent descriptions or were the authors refering each other?
Eg. Vieillot cited Latham as the author while others cited other authors (Temminck for example).

Last edited:
My question will seem confusing but how many authors have independently described the genus Tringa? The first is Linnaeus but what are the others? Besides, were these really independent descriptions or were the authors refering each other?
Eg. Vieillot cited Latham as the author while others cited other authors (Temminck for example).?

Tringa Linnaeus 1758 originally included 13 spp : Tringa pugnax, T. vanellus, T. gambetta, T. interpres, T. 'tobata' = lobata, T. fulicaria, T. alpina, T. 'ocrophus' = ochropus (with 'Tringa' cited from Aldrovandus, Willughby and Ray, in its synonymy), T. hypoleucos, T. canutus, T. glareola, T. littorea, T. squatarola. As you can probably see, these formed a ragtag assemblage of taxa, which are placed today in as much as 6 distinct genera (Calidris, Arenaria, Vanellus, Phalaropus, Tringa and Pluvialis).

Under current rules, the fact that a uninominal species name 'Tringa' was cited in the OD from pre-1758 works in the synonymy of Tringa 'ocrophus' is seen as automatically making the latter the type species "by Linnean tautonymy", which is why we use the name for shanks. This method of type fixation, however, is a relatively recent invention (early 20th C), which was not used by earlier authors.
Early authors have restricted the scope of the name in various ways -- e.g., Cuvier 1798 and 1816, and Illiger 1811 restricted it to lapwings and what they perceived to be their relatives; Temminck 1815, Vieillot 1816 and 1819, Nilsson 1821, etc., restricted it to sandpipers/stints and their relatives. Gray, in 1840, designated Tringa canutus Linnaeus 1758 as the type; the type was also determined to be Tringa canutus Linnaeus 1758 "by elimination" by the (primarily American) authors who applied this now entirely disused method of type fixation, e.g. AOU 1886, see also Allen 1907; this species was still accepted as the type by such authorities as the AOU in 1910 and the BOU in 1915.
These successive changes in the applications of the name, however, merely represented subsequent uses of Linnaeus' name (i.e., Tringa Linnaeus 1758 sensu various workers); they cannot be construed as successive introductions of different names, that could be attributed to different authors and treated as separately available.

...Thus my answer to your original question would be: one.

Tringa Linnaeus 1758 originally included 13 spp : Tringa pugnax, T. vanellus, T. gambetta, T. interpres, T. 'tobata' = lobata, T. fulicaria, T. alpina, T. 'ocrophus' = ochropus (with 'Tringa' cited from Aldrovandus, Willughby and Ray, in its synonymy), T. hypoleucos, T. canutus, T. glareola, T. littorea, T. squatarola. As you can probably see, these formed a ragtag assemblage of taxa, which are placed today in as much as 6 distinct genera (Calidris, Arenaria, Vanellus, Phalaropus, Tringa and Pluvialis).

Under current rules, the fact that a uninominal species name 'Tringa' was cited in the OD from pre-1758 works in the synonymy of Tringa 'ocrophus' is seen as automatically making the latter the type species "by Linnean tautonymy", which is why we use the name for shanks. This method of type fixation, however, is a relatively recent invention (early 20th C), which was not used by earlier authors.
Early authors have restricted the scope of the name in various ways -- e.g., Cuvier 1798 and 1816, and Illiger 1811 restricted it to lapwings and what they perceived to be their relatives; Temminck 1815, Vieillot 1816 and 1819, Nilsson 1821, etc., restricted it to sandpipers/stints and their relatives. Gray, in 1840, designated Tringa canutus Linnaeus 1758 as the type; the type was also determined to be Tringa canutus Linnaeus 1758 "by elimination" by the (primarily American) authors who applied this now entirely disused method of type fixation, e.g. AOU 1886, see also Allen 1907; this species was still accepted as the type by such authorities as the AOU in 1910 and the BOU in 1915.
These successive changes in the applications of the name, however, merely represented subsequent uses of Linnaeus' name (i.e., Tringa Linnaeus 1758 sensu various workers); they cannot be construed as successive introductions of different names, that could be attributed to different authors and treated as separately available.

...Thus my answer to your original question would be: one.
Your answer sheds some light on a question I was asking myself this morning: what does Prebinomial specific name in synonymy mean?

There is something else too. Brisson (1760) described several species of Tringa in his work and it is a safe bet that he borrowed Tringa from Linnaeus. But what I find curious is that he had associated the name "Bécasseau ou Cul-blanc" with this genus, while the "Chevaliers" were referred to by the genus Totanus (currently a synonym of Tringa). Many other authors have applied this conception. Except Temminck who separated the "Becasseaux" proper on one side (but still in the genus Tringa with the species today classified in Calidris), and the "Chevaliers" on the other (genus Totanus with the species classified today in Tringa). In these authors, the genus Calidris designated either the "Maubèches" or the "Sanderling (in the current meaning Calidris alba). The question I ask myself is the following: If the name "Bécasseau" exists, what species did it originally designate? Because a species must be at the origin of a name. It's to lose his Latin, or his French, wthout pun

Last edited:
Bécasseaux est issu de bécasser et indique un oiseau d’une taille inférieure à celle de la Bécasse des bois. ... Bécassine et Bécasse (XVIe siècle) dérivent (tout comme l’Italien Beccaccia) du latin beccus (bec), oiseau à long bec; le terme bec, d’origine gauloise, a éliminé le nom latin classique rostrum” (Cabard & Chauvet, 2003, L’étymologie des noms d’oiseaux, pp. 165, 171). The Bécasse de bois is the Woodcock Scolopax rusticola. Bécasseau was applied to the smaller calidrid waders, the commonest being the Dunlin Calidris alpina, the Sanderling Calidris alba, and the Red Knot Calidris canutus.

Bécasseaux est issu de bécasser et indique un oiseau d’une taille inférieure à celle de la Bécasse des bois. ... Bécassine et Bécasse (XVIe siècle) dérivent (tout comme l’Italien Beccaccia) du latin beccus (bec), oiseau à long bec; le terme bec, d’origine gauloise, a éliminé le nom latin classique rostrum” (Cabard & Chauvet, 2003, L’étymologie des noms d’oiseaux, pp. 165, 171). The Bécasse de bois is the Woodcock Scolopax rusticola. Bécasseau was applied to the smaller calidrid waders, the commonest being the Dunlin Calidris alpina, the Sanderling Calidris alba, and the Red Knot Calidris canutus.
The name "Bécasseau" seems to have been used haphazardly by ancient authors: Brisson, Bonnaterre, Vieillot, Lesson, Le Maout, Temminck, Degland et Gerbe, Paris, etc... Even if this name designates today the genus Calidris, what was it in the past, especially during a time when the classification of birds was random and in its infancy.

Pre-1758: in 1746, in Linnaeus's Fauna Svecica (here, No. 147) we find the following short phrase: "Sucecis [in Swedish] Snäppa [Stint/Sandpiper]. Genevenʃibus [in Swiss] Beccaſin [Beccasin].", which in his Systema naturae, of 1758 (here) is equal of "Tringa Hypoleucos" (i.e. today's Common Sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos).

Also note that Linnaeus, even earlier, in his Methodus avium Sveticarum, 1731 (though, unpublished until 1907) wrote it as "Becassine" (here), with a (first) reference to Willughby, 1676 (here), where we find (a non-binary): "Tringa minor; an Cinclus ʃecundus ... Genevæ Beccaſſine, in agro Eboracenʃi a Sandpiper" (i.e. the same/today's Common Sandpiper).

But, as I understand it, the name Beccasin/Beckasin/Bécasseaux origins in a far earlier bécasse, which was an early French name for the (Common/European/Eurasian) Woodcock Scolopax rusticola (Bécasse des bois), which, in its turn, originating in either the Celtic bec (Beak/Bill), or/alt. (like James, in reference to Cabard & Chauvet 2003, tells us): the Latin beccus (bec).

In Swedish the Common/Vernacular name/s bäkasin and beccasin has been used (mainly among Hunters) for a multitude of species, from the (Common/Euarsian) Curlew Numenius arquata to the Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus, but from the early 1800's it came to be used, as beckasin, (mainly/solely) on the Snipes (in Gallinago, alt. Capella, or Scolopax), all with prominent Beaks.

And, in between, it had been used on several, more or less "beaked" Waders/Shorebirds, and/or closely related/similar species (also on those less "beaked") ...

It all makes sense (at least to me).

Björn

Last edited:
But, as I understand it, the name Beccasin/Beckasin/Bécasseaux origins in a far earlier bécasse, which was an early French name for the (Common/European/Eurasian) Woodcock Scolopax rusticola (Bécasse des bois), which, in its turn, originating in either the Celtic bec (Beak/Bill), or/alt. (like James, in reference to Cabard & Chauvet 2003, tells us): the Latin beccus (bec).
Yes, the names "Bécasseau", "Bécassine", "Bécassin", and "Bécassette" (which I invented for Lymnocryptes minimus) derive from "Bécasse". And today, each of these names refers to a Latin genus: Bécasseau = Calidris, Bécassine = Gallinago, Bécassin = Limnodromus, Bécassette = Lymnocryptes, and, of course, Bécasse = Scolopax. But what surprised me was that some French-speaking authors of previous centuries used the name Bécasseau to designate Tringa ochropus : the "Bécasseau or Cul-blanc", or "Chevalier bécasseau". So either it's a mistake on their part, or it's a clumsy use, or the real "Bécasseau" is this species and not those of the genus Calidris. It's only mystery, and I like it.

Last edited:
The "Chevalier rouge" of Belon looks like the Spotted Redshank (Tringa erythropus)

Do we know if any author has described this species from the "Chevalier rouge" of Belon, because its appearance intrigues me ? I did not find in the Systema Naturae by searching in the genus Tringa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back