• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guérande Salt Pans/Le Croisic area (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi, I've been birding in Brittany for about two years now but mostly on the Northern coast (Baie du Mont St-Michel, Baie de St.Brieuc...).
I'm going for a day trip in the Guérande area on Sunday (with 3 non-birders but I managed to negociate a few hours of birding ;) ), since it looks like a pretty big area I wondered if someone had any tips (hides, wader roosts...) and which species I could encounter there in winter.
Thanks for your help |:d|

P.S : I know about the Brière Marshes but we will not stop there (I think I'll try this in the spring).

Last edited:
The salt-pans at Guerande can hold waders but their presence depends on the tide and the amount of activity in the area. Its quite difficult to pin down which areas are best but one of the most reliable sites is at Sissable. There's a small car-park at the end of the road (which is a cul-de-sac) and the the lagoon usually holds a flock of waders.

The harbour at Le Croisic has Slav' & BN Grebe at the moment and a trip around the coast road gives a good chance for seawatching (best spot is near the golf-club). I think Sabine's Gull has been the best that's been seen there recently. More info on http://www.faune-loire-atlantique.org/

There are a couple of tracks and lanes behind the golf-club which can be interesting for a walk but you're unlikely to see much that you don't get already furthern north in Brittany.

Thanks for your advice, I'll probably try some seawatching at Le Croisic and check the harbour for Grebes (Slavonian Grebe would be great).

Hi, we were in Le Croisic in the morning and I saw lots of grebes in the harbour (but unfortunately no Slavonian), then I started to walk towards the lightouse on the jetty. There I saw Rock Pipits, more Grebes, Common Scoters, a Sandwich Tern, a few wader species (Turnstones, Oystercatchers, Curlew...) and a Kingfisher. I wish I had more time to spend on this area, it looks very good for seawatch...
On the early afternoon we drove through the saltpans area where I had very good views at Spoonbills, Avocets, Black-Bellied Brents, Great White Egrets and most of the usual wader species (Common and Spotted Redshanks, Black-Tailed Godwits, Common Greenshanks, Green Sandpipers...).
I also spotted a Hen Harrier from the car (close to Blain).
It was not so bad for a first time in Guérande and given the amount of time dedicated to birding... I will surely return in the spring for Stilts and Bluethroats !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back