• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guatemala site updates 2022 (1 Viewer)

Jon Gallagher

Not a trip report but a few updates on some of the sites in June 2022. Though not meant to be the optimal time to visit, I saw all my target birds.

Los Tarrales: great place, only problem because of time of year heavy rain in most afternoons. Cost: USD 30 per night (“green season”!), meals USD15, Walked all the trails and the road up to Vesubio. Good birds included: White-bellied Chachalacas, Crested Guans, Highland Guan, Singing Quail, White-faced Quail-Dove, Rivoli’s Hummingbird, Green-throated Mountaingem, Rufous Sabrewing, Emerald-chinned Hummingbird, Berylline Hummingbird, Blue-tailed Hummingbirds, female Slender Sheartail, Rufous-breasted Spintetail, Blue-and-white Mockingbird, Yellow-throated Nightingale-Thrush, Rufous-browed Wren, Rufous-naped Wren, Chestnut-capped Warbler, White-faced Ground-Sparrow, Azure-naped Tanagers, Bar-winged Oriole, Black-capped Swallows.

Fuentes Georginas: very quiet when I was there (time of year?) but still had Horned Guan. Main issue fog and rain in afternoons (almost zero visibility when I arrived). Trail up to ridge extremely slippery. Cost is still 60Q to enter, 25Q to park, but after accepting payment of 190Q per night later they tried to argue that I needed to pay for double occupancy of 380Q per night since I had exclusive use of the cabin. After long argument they conceded. Be aware. Good meals. Best birds: Horned Guan, Amethyst-throated Mountain-gem, Garnet-throated Hummingbird, Wine-throated Hummingbird, White-eared Hummingbird, Rufous Sabrewing, Violet Sabrewing, Azure-crowned Hummingbird, Black-throated Jays, Brown-backed Solitaires, Ruddy-capped Nightingale-Thrushes, Golden-browed Warblers, 1 + more heard Pink-headed Warblers (not ticked because very poor view).

Sierra de los Cuchaniantes NP (near Todos Santos Cachuman): stayed at Hotel Casa Familiar in Todos Santos Cachuman (cost 190Q per night). I used Esteban Matias (WhatsApp +502 5381 0540) for an evening (for the Unspotted Saw-whet Owl, successful at the third site we tried), and a morning. His daily rate has increased to 650Q per day. Can definitely recommend him as he knows the sites, has excellent field skills, and is a good bloke. Best birds: Unspotted Saw-whet Owl, Pink-headed Warbler, Goldman’s Warbler, Black-capped Siskin.

Any questions message me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back