• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

guided birding - a few thoughts (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

My observations aren't unique to Ecuador but were refined during my November 2015 trip to that country. We didn't retain one guide for our entire trip, and we didn't retain a guide during every day of our trip. Not one of the three of us can claim to be familiar with the avifauna of South America, and we were motivated more by frugality than confidence in our decision to do a fair amount of self-guided birding. We were guided at each principal destinations on at least one day, and in general that was our first full day at that site. We retained one guide for the day of our transfer (via Papallacta Pass) from Cabanas San Isidro to Mindo, and we retained the same guide (Julia Patiño) for each of the four full days spent birding in the Mindo area.

Of the remaining four guides, one was employed by the well regarded Wildsumaco Lodge and one was retained through the folks at Cabanas San Isidro (another site that invariably ranks high with birders). Both guides were superb (as was Julia in the Mindo area). As most birders in the Neotropics know, sound is such a crucial piece of the puzzle there, and all three of those guides were attuned to even the faintest of vocalizations and each had an uncanny knack for getting our three sets on untrained eyes on some very good birds.

The other two guides were retained during stays at lodges for which birding is not a primary mission. Each was earnest and knew a fair amount about local birds, but they weren't up to the standards set by the other three. One lodge owner reacted quite strongly to my diplomatic expression of this sentiment, and insists that he provided per the package a "multilingual professional licensed guide". I'm not sure what licensing authority may have conferred the credential and what the license signifies. I will also note that in the presence of more accomplished clients each may well have demonstrated considerable skill.

If you're birding in the northwest I think you'd be well served by Julia Patiño. If you're using guides obtained through Wildsumaco or San Isidro I'm confident you'll be pleased with the results. But if you're staying at a lodge not so well known for its birding and are tempted to retain a guide recommended by the lodge, make a few inquiries about the guide's experience.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back