• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindo Lodges (1 Viewer)

Doctor D

United States
Welcome everyone!

Thank you in advance for your support and responsiveness.

We are planning a trip to Quito next year and Mindo has been added to our itinerary. We are new to Mindo as a birding destination and looking for guidance on accommodations. The travel consultant recommended an Eco-Lodge, and of course there are many. But also see that the birding opportunity appears to go well beyond lodge-based experiences.

My wife is a lifelong nature photographer although I would not describe us as avid birders but she has photographed many birds. Also, my wife can only handle about a 1/2 day of shooting before she is worn out and Galapagos will follow this part of the journey and don't want her worn out before she gets there. So here's the first question. If it's our first time to the area, and given the physical restraints, does a lodge make sense because it sits on a large parcel of land and allows you to experience more birds than we have ever seen in our lives without having to traverse from one place to the next, makes it easier to take breaks, etc. and be back in our room as needed? The second question, if the answer to the first question is yes, what full service lodges (guides, restaurant on-site) might you recommend. As I said, there are many and all seem to have their quirks. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you all so much!

Doctor D

For a full service guide, you might be better off hiring someone that can act as a guide, driver and arrange all of the lodgings for you. This way you can explore the most and see great places around Mindo like Paz de Las Aves, Milpe Bird Sanctuary and Amagusa Reserve without having to spend time and money arranging it yourself. These 3 sites are also famous for their bird feeders, so your wife can relax by the feeders taking photos as mega species like Moss-backed and Glistening-green Tanager, Toucan Barbet and Orange-breasted Fruiteater comes to you.

For one main lodge, I'd say to go for Sachatamia Lodge, beautiful room and grounds, plus amazing bird sightings right on the property grounds. If you want to spend an extra night in the higher elevations and have some time/money, then Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge is amazing as well.

If you want a good local guide/driver, there's plenty of options, one I've worked with is Nelson Apolo, great guide and company, and he will cater to your requirements, whether these are hardcore birding, photography or a mixed focus on birds and other wildlife.

For a full service guide, you might be better off hiring someone that can act as a guide, driver and arrange all of the lodgings for you. This way you can explore the most and see great places around Mindo like Paz de Las Aves, Milpe Bird Sanctuary and Amagusa Reserve without having to spend time and money arranging it yourself. These 3 sites are also famous for their bird feeders, so your wife can relax by the feeders taking photos as mega species like Moss-backed and Glistening-green Tanager, Toucan Barbet and Orange-breasted Fruiteater comes to you.

For one main lodge, I'd say to go for Sachatamia Lodge, beautiful room and grounds, plus amazing bird sightings right on the property grounds. If you want to spend an extra night in the higher elevations and have some time/money, then Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge is amazing as well.

If you want a good local guide/driver, there's plenty of options, one I've worked with is Nelson Apolo, great guide and company, and he will cater to your requirements, whether these are hardcore birding, photography or a mixed focus on birds and other wildlife.
Thank you so much for this sage advice! We actually had Sachatamia in our sites for two nights. Thinking about adding a couple of nights and visiting the places you mentioned with the feeders. I worry she is going to get worn out too quickly as she prefers to shoot freehand and could leverage a monopod more easily if the birds are in effect coming to her. Thanks again for your guidance and responsiveness!

If you want a good local guide/driver, there's plenty of options, one I've worked with is Nelson Apolo, great guide and company, and he will cater to your requirements, whether these are hardcore birding, photography or a mixed focus on birds and other wildlife.Ag

Hi, just related to this could I ask your opinion on self-driving, is that something you'd recommend? Is it doable to hit the places you mentioned driving in our own non 4x4 car, and okay with tolls / roadblocks etc?

Hi, just related to this could I ask your opinion on self-driving, is that something you'd recommend? Is it doable to hit the places you mentioned driving in our own non 4x4 car, and okay with tolls / roadblocks etc?
Not sure if there have been any recent blockades/riots in the country, but when there are no issues, I noticed that driving through the Northern loop (Quito, Mindo and eastern slope lodges), a rental car could get you to 90% of the sites.

The main roads in the country were paved better than the roads you see in some major US cities, the scenery was beautiful, and even the backroads were well maintained dirt/gravel roads. Not sure if this is the same elsewhere in the country, but at least between Rio Silanche Bird Sanctuary to Coca, you can explore the region with a car, just try to book the lodging in advance outside of the major towns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back