• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Hamburg, Germany (1 Viewer)

Fritz73

Wat mutt, dat mutt!
Staff member
Supporter
Argentina
Can someone reconfirm the gull on the left?

At first I thought it was a European Herring Gull like the one on the right, but then I noticed the grey back / winges been darker. Is this then another gull? or just another subspecies?

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• 7R6A0012copy.JPG
    7R6A0012copy.JPG
    821.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 7R6A0390copy.JPG
    7R6A0390copy.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 7R6A0691copy.JPG
    7R6A0691copy.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 59
Hello Fritz,

like you I hope for Lou and others to comment. And before it gets burried, my thoughts to bump it up:
  • despite the darkish upperparts (darker then the Common Gulls) I think its best to start with thinking its a Herring Gull.
  • With the lack of a red gape and eye-ring and ill/pale coloration to the legs its no YLG imo.
  • It has too much white in the primaries for a LBBG
And more? Yes, I see both a greyish and a yellowish tinge to the legs, an indication for some Caspian Gull genes in your bird (although lege are short)???
And although the eye is pale, I cant loose the feeling of small size.
(should there be the grey tongue on the underside of p9 visible, if this is a pure Caspian Gull? Err, yes (?)

Conclusion? I start with suggesting its an adult Herring Gull with possible Caspian Gull genes in it. And as always.. Thanks!

For comparison an ID book Herring Gull (thats how I like them you know) (Wyk auf Föhr, N-Germany, 03.02.2010)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back