• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID-just outside Paris, France (Triel-sur-Seine)-7 April (1 Viewer)

pjacobs

United States
Hi all,

I was unable to ID two different gulls this morning at a pond along the Seine 30 mins outside Paris, France. I was hoping some of the experts here can can offer some advice. They are the large gulls in the center of each shot standing on the rock. They were solo birds among a large flock of black-headed gulls and a variety of ducks.

Thanks for the help,
Peter

Attachments

• unk_gull.JPG
    11 MB · Views: 36
  • unk_gull2_zoom.JPG
    unk_gull2_zoom.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 56
Hello Peter,

like you I hope for confident comments, but my thoughts:

the first bird has some reminsicence of a 2cy Caspian Gull with
  • uniform washed grey greater coverts with a whitish band near the tip
  • blackish tertials with uniform straight edges (no barring/notches/pattern),
  • pale grey mantle with just a few scattered dark centers
It is not an "easy" ID book bird for me, but deciding if this mean its an Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid or just variation of a pue Caspian Gull is above my paygrade. Or something completly different?

The second bird looks good for a 3cy Yellow-legged Gull with that darkish mantle and bright yellow bill (with the right tri-coloured tip?).
But better wait for Lou and others.

Thanks Alexander, I really appreciate the response and the explanation.

I was thinking Yellow-Legged, Herring (or maybe Lesser Black-Backed?) for the two of them, didn't consider Caspian, but that's only because I'm not as familiar with them. A good reminder I need more gull practice.

I'll wait to hear if anyone else has chimes in with any further opinions.

Cheers,
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back