• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID please, Cambridgeshire (2 Viewers)

colincurry

England
Out snapping on Sunday and met a fully trained birder with much more knowledge than me. In his scope, he picked up this; and thought it might be a yellow-legged gull which he would investigate further.

Any views please?

Thanks

Colin

IMG_9766.jpg

Hello Colin,

maybe its better to post this in the ID forum?

And do you have more pictures? Preferably showing an open wing?

I see why you both picked this candiadate, and when you ID the bird in the field as a YLG than this is a strong point you know, but as you asked my thoughts:
  • many 2nd cycle YLG have a coarser pattern on the visible greater coverts. Your gull have a blackish centered, whitish fringed ones
  • many new generation scapulars and the back have extensive pale fringes and a broad rounded dark center
  • some YLG have a more complex pattern on the tertials, but yes variation
  • (and I looked at your picture on three different devices now, and think the grey on the back is slightly too smokey grey)
  • and this came into my mind top: yes, the gently rounded yet slightly bulbous forehead together with the bill shape gives your bis a slight reminiscence to a Great Black backed Gull. And therefore adds to a YLG jizz, but some Lesser Black backed Gulls are more strongly build and arent dainty, elongated and gently round-headed.
Conclusion? As said, I cant ID your bird with confidence and cant exclude a 3cy LBBG. Please move it to the ID section so we get more comments. Thanks!

Hello Colin,

maybe its better to post this in the ID forum?

And do you have more pictures? Preferably showing an open wing?

I see why you both picked this candiadate, and when you ID the bird in the field as a YLG than this is a strong point you know, but as you asked my thoughts:
  • many 2nd cycle YLG have a coarser pattern on the visible greater coverts. Your gull have a blackish centered, whitish fringed ones
  • many new generation scapulars and the back have extensive pale fringes and a broad rounded dark center
  • some YLG have a more complex pattern on the tertials, but yes variation
  • (and I looked at your picture on three different devices now, and think the grey on the back is slightly too smokey grey)
  • and this came into my mind top: yes, the gently rounded yet slightly bulbous forehead together with the bill shape gives your bis a slight reminiscence to a Great Black backed Gull. And therefore adds to a YLG jizz, but some Lesser Black backed Gulls are more strongly build and arent dainty, elongated and gently round-headed.
Conclusion? As said, I cant ID your bird with confidence and cant exclude a 3cy LBBG. Please move it to the ID section so we get more comments. Thanks!
Thanks, Alexander for the comprehensive reply. I have done as you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back