• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull in Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I saw this gull in Switzerland (Lake Zurich) in a place where the dominant species was the Yellow-legged gull, but with also Caspian and Herring gulls and one GBBG.

In the field I thought it was a Caspian, because it seemed different from the LLG and similar to an adult Caspian gull which was close to it. However, in the pictures I am less sure. Even if the beak seems thin and the legs are less yellow than the majority of LLG (but more yellow that the majority of Caspians), I found the primary projection very little for a Caspian and I am not sure what to conclude from the wing pattern (if it is possible to conclude something with these pictures). The eye was better seen in the field and was dark.

What do you think?

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-18 at 22.44.57.jpeg
IMG_8120.jpeg

Hello,

I agree with you ID from the field, its an adult Caspian gull.

I am not sure, the pp can be judged with confidence with these pictures (foreshortening effect and some wing-shaking action?)

Primary pattern seems good for a Caspian Gull.
I read somewhere, that Caspian Gulls from the eastern part of the breeding range have brighter yellower legs

But please note, that any indication of hybridisation in this Gull is above my paygrade= it looks like a pure Caspian Gull to me=better wait for others to jump in.

Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer. Yes, after analyzing it, I also find that the wing pattern in very close to this of a typical Caspian. The only argument against a pure Caspian would thus be the weak primary projection. But maybe it is only an impression due to the position of the bird?

Has anyone any other comments?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back