• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Yorkshire coast UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

I saw this gull perched on the "rocket pole" near Filey Brigg, close to sunset on 18th March. It struck me with the naked eye as darker-mantled than other Herring Gulls around (though obviously nowhere near as dark as LBBG or GBBG) and bulky-looking. Through binoculars the legs looked more yellow than pink, though I appreciate that isn't very discernible in these photos. Can it be a YLG, or is it within Herring variation?

Attachments

• gull2.JPG
    gull2.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 90
  • gull1.JPG
    gull1.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 89
I saw this gull perched on the "rocket pole" near Filey Brigg, close to sunset on 18th March. It struck me with the naked eye as darker-mantled than other Herring Gulls around (though obviously nowhere near as dark as LBBG or GBBG) and bulky-looking. Through binoculars the legs looked more yellow than pink, though I appreciate that isn't very discernible in these photos. Can it be a YLG, or is it within Herring variation?
Legs on first image certainly yellowish, at least for me on this monitor...

Hello,

I agree with all, that a picture of the open wing is needed for confident ID, at least for me. My thoughts:
  • I agree with Rotherbirder: full, angular head profile is very good for a YLG.
  • And I think I can guess some darkish wash behind the eye= a good mask for a YLG. Yes, many YLG are completly white headed in mid-march.
  • low evening light makes the mantle appear darker, but when noticed this in the field with direct comparison to HG than it was real
  • yes, it looks like a bird that is worth a closer look in Britain and I would ID it as a YLG in SW-Germany without waiting it to open its wings
  • yes, pp seems on the short site for a YLG
  • I agree with Butty, its hard to be sure of leg-colour, but again: you have seen them as yellowish in the field
Conclusion? I cant ID it=cant exclude a Herring Gull. But I hope my post is useful and I hope you find your next YLG soon!

Thanks all. I must admit I was half hoping that someone would be like "oh, that wing pattern means it's obviously a Herring Gull" or "obviously a YLG" (I get lost in all the discussion of "mirrors", "tongues" etc...) - but good to know that it did have some YLG features (even if not quite definitely identifiable) and I wasn't completely stringing it out of nothing!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back