• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gunnison Co. (1 Viewer)

hookem2010

I'm heading to some property in Gunnison County between Pitkin and Hwy 50 the first week of October. I've birded some in the state but have a few targets, including pine grosbeak, dusky grouse and any of of rosy finches. If gunnison sage-grouse is at all doable in the fall, that would be awesome as well. Anyone with recs for finding those birds in that area? Thanks!

For dusky grouse and pine grosbeak, I would travel along several high passes, such as Kebler, Schofield, Cottonwood or Cumberland. They typically can be found in the the spruces or lodgepole pine. Rosy finches are in the alpine. Best bet would be Cottonwood, cumberland, Monarch (have to walk to the alpine or ride the tram), Tin Cup (a rough ride) or any pass that gets above 11,000 feet. A great place to locate them is near snow fields.

Best of luck.

I'm heading to some property in Gunnison County between Pitkin and Hwy 50 the first week of October. I've birded some in the state but have a few targets, including pine grosbeak, dusky grouse and any of of rosy finches. If gunnison sage-grouse is at all doable in the fall, that would be awesome as well. Anyone with recs for finding those birds in that area? Thanks!
I was able to see a group of Gunnison Sage Grouse outside the breeding season (August specifically, IIRC) along CR 38 S from Gunnison. This was quite a while ago, over a decade past, so I have no idea if this is a viable location still, and I can't really give you more specific info as the exact location along that road are kind of fuzzy. Still at the time this was the go to spot if you wanted the birds outside a breeding lek, as it was recommend to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back