• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Washington State 25th June to 4th July (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm planning to be in Washington State during the above dates. I'll hire a car and would quite like to climb Mt. St. Helens and/or Mt. Adams, so I will be in that area for a fair bit of the time. But can anyone offer me some good birding suggestions? I've birded before in California and Alaska so there are actually surprisingly few lifers possible for me. But the following would all be new

Thanks.

White-tailed Ptarmigan
Dusky Grouse
Sage Grouse
Common Poorwill
Rufous Hummingbird
Virginia Rail
Northern Pygmy-owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Flammulated Owl
Western Screech-owl
Spotted Owl
Black-backed Woodpecker
Western Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Clark's Nutcracker
Mountain Bluebird
Evening Grosbeak
Purple Finch
Brewer's Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Lazuli Bunting

I'm not a birder, but I do seek and photograph birds along with other wildlife. I'm also not familiar with the Mt. St. Helen area, I live farther North. I would think you'll have no problem finding Clark's Nutcracker while in the mountains. The bottom of your list, from Western Kingbird down, are pretty common birds on the East side of the Cascades, with the possible exception of Grasshopper Sparrow, I've not seen one. I've had good times in the Coulee City/Moses Lake/Othello areas. As usual I suggest you peruse ebird for locations. That's what I do when I head that way. Good luck & have fun!

I'm not a birder, but I do seek and photograph birds along with other wildlife. I'm also not familiar with the Mt. St. Helen area, I live farther North. I would think you'll have no problem finding Clark's Nutcracker while in the mountains. The bottom of your list, from Western Kingbird down, are pretty common birds on the East side of the Cascades, with the possible exception of Grasshopper Sparrow, I've not seen one. I've had good times in the Coulee City/Moses Lake/Othello areas. As usual I suggest you peruse ebird for locations. That's what I do when I head that way. Good luck & have fun!
Yes, Grand Coulee looks to be an interesting geographic feature, and should I imagine provide some of the dry country birds I'd like to see.

Just back. Went to the Hazel Wolf Bird Sanctuary where I heard Poorwill and got Lazuli Bunting, Warbling Vireo, Western Kingbird, Lewis's Woodpecker, Sage Thrasher and Brewer's Sparrow. Then I went to Grand Coulee where I found Purple Finch. Otherwise a bit disappointing birding there. Then a visit to the Wild Horse Renewable Energy Centre where they are making big efforts to preserve the environment (wary I think of criticism that their wind farm might attract). This turned out to be a very good site for Mountain Bluebird and Sage Thrasher. Then back to the mountains. I climbed Mt. Adams where Clark's Nutcracker was very much in evidence. I didn't see it anywhere else at all. Tried hard for Evening Grosbeak but couldn't find it.

I still have 93 species of bird left to see in the western USA. Probably a visit to the Prairies and Rocky Mountains and another to southern California/Arizona would whittle the number down quite a bit. The owls are always going to be hard I think.

Just back. Went to the Hazel Wolf Bird Sanctuary where I heard Poorwill and got Lazuli Bunting, Warbling Vireo, Western Kingbird, Lewis's Woodpecker, Sage Thrasher and Brewer's Sparrow. Then I went to Grand Coulee where I found Purple Finch. Otherwise a bit disappointing birding there. Then a visit to the Wild Horse Renewable Energy Centre where they are making big efforts to preserve the environment (wary I think of criticism that their wind farm might attract). This turned out to be a very good site for Mountain Bluebird and Sage Thrasher. Then back to the mountains. I climbed Mt. Adams where Clark's Nutcracker was very much in evidence. I didn't see it anywhere else at all. Tried hard for Evening Grosbeak but couldn't find it.

I still have 93 species of bird left to see in the western USA. Probably a visit to the Prairies and Rocky Mountains and another to southern California/Arizona would whittle the number down quite a bit. The owls are always going to be hard I think.
Most of the owls are realistic in Southeast Arizona, though you might need some local guide help for some of the tougher species like Flammulated and Spotted Owl.

For the game birds, Colorado is your friend in early spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back