• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hairy or Downy Woodpecker in New Jersey, USA - 2/10/2024 (2 Viewers)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
I was out birding at nearby Minebrook Park. I looked up and saw this amazing woodpecker in a tree above me. Would this be a Downy or Hairy Woodpecker?

I know I have recently made a thread like this, but this is a completely different bird at a different location, and I think it may be a different species. Thank you all for your time and support.

Sincerely,
Shlundo

IMG_1609[1].JPGIMG_1611[1].JPG

Thanks, the help is much appreciated. I have came to the conclusion it was most likely a hairy due to it's large bill size and more deeper Peek call I have heard rather thank the downy's lower pik in which I hear often in the woods throughout the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back