• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker ID - In New Jersey, USA (1 Viewer)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
IMG_1573[1].JPGIMG_1572[1].JPG

I was out birding when I saw a woodpecker that was either a Downy or Hairy. It seemed larger than the usual downy woodpeckers I get at by bird feeder and I believe it may be a hairy woodpecker. If so can someone please confirm the identification of this bird and tell me why it is a hairy woodpecker. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,
Shlundo

Thank you all for the ID help, I was leaning towards a hairy as it seemed bigger than any downy woodpecker I'd seen and it has a little comma black mark on it's shoulder which the downy is lacking.

it seemed bigger than any downy woodpecker I'd seen
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable. Always look instead for structural features - in this case, long bill - which makes it hairy woodpecker (as stated above).
little comma black mark on it's shoulder
I doubt that's of significance, given individual variation.
(Please always give the date when requesting ID. Thanks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back