• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ham Wall Starling roost - information? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thinking about a trip to the UK specifically to see the big Starling roost at Hamwall.

Anybody know the current status of the roost this year? I see there is a hotline phone number, but that would be an international call, so is there a website that also gives details of best location/numbers of birds etc?

Many thanks

However ... it doesn't include Ham Wall!! (Looking at the first page it's probably because they have requested not to be on the website, as they have enough visitors already - bit bizarre if so) So not very useful ...

Hi,

Thinking about a trip to the UK specifically to see the big Starling roost at Hamwall.

Anybody know the current status of the roost this year? I see there is a hotline phone number, but that would be an international call, so is there a website that also gives details of best location/numbers of birds etc?

Many thanks
Hi Jos. I’m hoping to call in Friday. If I do I’ll make some enquiries with staff and let you know.

Rich

A look at Twitter would seem to indicate that the starlings are favouring Shapwick rather than Ham Wall this year.

A look at Twitter would seem to indicate that the starlings are favouring Shapwick rather than Ham Wall this year.
Where's Shapwick? :)

I've booked tickets to come to the UK next weekend, so I'll do a little investigation. Never been to Ham Wall (or Shapwick), so I think it will be a very nice day all in all.

Hi Jos. I called in this afternoon but the volunteers had too many people around them. The car park was rammed. As was the small Shapwick Heath car park. I assumed from that the murmuration must be pretty good at Ham Wall. When I learnt that the path to the Avalon hide was flooded I left after only a short walk.

Thanks for that. I think I'll go quite early in the day to have a general look round reserves, then Ill also check where's best for the murmuration. Do folk generally watch from the car parks?

obviously it depends where the birds are but vp1 is by far the best laid out vantage point in the whole Avalon marshes area. Visibility of habitat at shapwick can be very hit and miss

I have never gone to see the murmuration as such but I have stayed on in the past after wandering around the reserve and been surrounded by incoming birds at Waltons. It was a pretty breathtaking experience. Thoroughly recommended.

All the best

Paul

I have never gone to see the murmuration as such but I have stayed on in the past after wandering around the reserve and been surrounded by incoming birds at Waltons. It was a pretty breathtaking experience. Thoroughly recommended.

All the best

Paul
Paul
I'm not sure of your age, but when I lived there, Clevedon Pier had one of the most impressive 'murmuration's, as did Bristol Temple Meads railway station.

regards
Merlin

Paul
I'm not sure of your age, but when I lived there, Clevedon Pier had one of the most impressive 'murmuration's, as did Bristol Temple Meads railway station.

regards
Merlin

That would have been impressive. Very limited roosts locally these days. I have been here 25 years.

All the best

Pauk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back