• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (3 Viewers)

Another Firecrest on Soton Common this morning. I wonder how many there are on the Common - this one was in a patch where I've never even looked before, and was a welcome bright spot on a very grey morning.
David

Apparently theyve got rid of the lights on the common now because it will make people less likely to get mugged. Seems a bit strange to me. GN Diver reported on Ibsley plus 48 Goosander, BN Grebe and GW egret (mockbeggar)

A really annoying day for me today. I arrived at Shipton Bellinger at 10:30 to fidn that the eagle was showing 2 minutes ago. In the next few hours we saw a Peregrine several times plus a Brambling and commoner raptors and stuff. I waited until 2:15 when a message came through on someones pager that the bird was showing at the old site. So everyone rushed down there to find everyone from there leaving to go to Shipton Bellinger after a report of it at 2:00, and they hadn't seen the bird where they were either. So we went back to there and waited before I got a message saying that the 2:00 report was erroneus. Then a report came through saying that at 2:20 it had been seen again at Quarley. So we drove around the lanes there in heavy rain with no success before eventually giving up at 3:00.

A really annoying day for me today. I arrived at Shipton Bellinger at 10:30 to fidn that the eagle was showing 2 minutes ago. In the next few hours we saw a Peregrine several times plus a Brambling and commoner raptors and stuff. I waited until 2:15 when a message came through on someones pager that the bird was showing at the old site. So everyone rushed down there to find everyone from there leaving to go to Shipton Bellinger after a report of it at 2:00, and they hadn't seen the bird where they were either. So we went back to there and waited before I got a message saying that the 2:00 report was erroneus. Then a report came through saying that at 2:20 it had been seen again at Quarley. So we drove around the lanes there in heavy rain with no success before eventually giving up at 3:00.

The total opposite for me today ;) LOL we arrived at Shipton Bellinger at around 10.00am and immediatley found the WTE gliding past the crowd we then watched it for a further half an hour before it drifted off south and that must be when you arrived. 8-P

PS does anyone know when the last record in hants was. I know it was a long time ago but I'd like to know the year.
Thanks
Lee

Attachments

• WHITE TAILED EAGLE JUV IN HANTS_filtered 2.jpg
    WHITE TAILED EAGLE JUV IN HANTS_filtered 2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 90
Firecrests in the west?

I can see a definite westerly trend there! over what period are these sightings?

Over the last 3 years, all in the autumn-winter. The westerly bias is a bias in the routes I walk, not necessarily on the whereabouts of the birds! Anyone covering the east of the common may be getting hundreds of Firecrests for all I know.

With Yellow-browed Warbler and Subalpine Warbler this year (not seen by me, sadly) perhaps the Common deserves more coverage.

David

This morning I went to Milford-On-Sea in search of some Leach's Petrels and Im pretty sure I had one but couldn't be 100% coz the light was so bright I could make out any rump, forked tail or pale panel etc. However when I first went there we were at the wrong place (just my luck) we were on top of the cliff but we should have been at the beach car park so If I had been there we would have def got them. Also we had the best ever view of a Peregrine it flew in off the sea and flew over our heads about 50ft but I left my f*****g camerain the car so all in all a pretty crap day.

Thanks Dave so a really good Hampshire tick, I hope everyone has had it/gets it before it departs.

I went this morning - saw it at Shipton Bellinger around 10:25 at about 500m shortly before it disappeared behind Shipton Wood. The corner of Bulford Road and the A338 seems a good viewing spot. Peregrine and Raven also seen there. I later saw it around 1pm a few times over what is called "Windy Dido" on my map - viewed from the start of a footpath at SU252419 looking north. Looking at the bird news the bird must have drifted N of the A303 shortly afterwards. Looked for Grey Partridge around Grately / Palestine but couldn't find any.

I went this morning - saw it at Shipton Bellinger around 10:25 at about 500m shortly before it disappeared behind Shipton Wood. The corner of Bulford Road and the A338 seems a good viewing spot. Peregrine and Raven also seen there. I later saw it around 1pm a few times over what is called "Windy Dido" on my map - viewed from the start of a footpath at SU252419 looking north. Looking at the bird news the bird must have drifted N of the A303 shortly afterwards. Looked for Grey Partridge around Grately / Palestine but couldn't find any.

Well done of getting the Eagle im hoping now that it stays till next year so that I can get it on my Hampshire Year List. (Im aiming for 200+) ;)

ignore this, rembered to look at the hoslist sight!!

does anyone know the details of the gw egret reported on birdguides from blashford lakes today? i am hoping to try for it tomorrow after work but by the time i get there it will prob only be light for 45 mins so some directions would be much appreciated.

thanks nick page

Last edited:
It's usually on Mockbeggar Lake, here, (the one with the red circle)there's viewing screens on the roads to the North and East of the lake.

Well done of getting the Eagle im hoping now that it stays till next year so that I can get it on my Hampshire Year List. (Im aiming for 200+) ;)

I think that with a pager you should get 200+ easily (if you're in the county when the rares appear ;) ). I'm on 193 and missed these spring to autumn birds - Honey Buzzard, Spotted Crake, Stone Curlew, Roseate Tern, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Ring Ouzel, Red-backed Shrike - mainly through dragonflying rather than birding but I dipped on the Crake (twice) and Shrike. I also have still to see Merlin, Grey Partridge, Kittiwake, Guillemot, Tawny Owl |:(| this year. You also have to make the right choices. For some reason I decided to go to Lower Test on 19th September on a day with excellent seawatching conditions - Sooty Shearwater off Milford along with much else. I sat there looking at the reports on the internet in the evening and thought "what a plonker".

Good luck for the next year!

Last edited:
I think that with a pager you should get 200+ easily (if you're in the county when the rares appear ;) ). I'm on 193 and missed these spring to autumn birds - Honey Buzzard, Spotted Crake, Stone Curlew, Roseate Tern, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Ring Ouzel, Red-backed Shrike - mainly through dragonflying rather than birding but I dipped on the Crake (twice) and Shrike. I also have still to see Merlin, Grey Partridge, Kittiwake, Guillemot, Tawny Owl |:(| this year. You also have to make the right choices. For some reason I decided to go to Lower Test on 19th September on a day with excellent seawatching conditions - Sooty Shearwater off Milford along with much else. I sat there looking at the reports on the internet in the evening and thought "what a plonker".

Good luck for the next year!

Thanks most of the ones you haven't seen I have 8-P so if you had all them you would be well over 200. Good luck to you next year aswell if you do it.

PS any one know any reliable sites for Grey Partridge in Hampshire now, I have only ever had them once and that was a group of 8 at Needs Ore.

Probably some Grey Partridges a bit more local to the Southampton area, but the east-west footpath, south of the A343 around (SU281364) has a small number. In fact the whole triangle between the A343, A30, and B3084 had a good population of Grey Partridges in the spring/summer. Haven't been up there for a while, but due to go with my BTO atlas survey in the next couple of weeks.
Quite a good area for Corn Buntings too.

Probably some Grey Partridges a bit more local to the Southampton area, but the east-west footpath, south of the A343 around (SU281364) has a small number. In fact the whole triangle between the A343, A30, and B3084 had a good population of Grey Partridges in the spring/summer. Haven't been up there for a while, but due to go with my BTO atlas survey in the next couple of weeks.
Quite a good area for Corn Buntings too.

Thanks for your help Peter. Don't spose you could let us know on how you get on.
Thanks again
Lee

Last edited:
Probably some Grey Partridges a bit more local to the Southampton area...

The winter before last there were some along the Test Way between Moorcourt and Romsey. I didn't see any last winter but I got sidetracked with the year listing so didn't pay as many visits as usual. The winter of 2000/1 when I worked at Sparsholt College there were small numbers in the Little Somborne area. Never saw one in the Sparsholt area - the college reared French only.

The winter before last there were some along the Test Way between Moorcourt and Romsey. I didn't see any last winter but I got sidetracked with the year listing so didn't pay as many visits as usual. The winter of 2000/1 when I worked at Sparsholt College there were small numbers in the Little Somborne area. Never saw one in the Sparsholt area - the college reared French only.

Thanks paul. I was just wondering on your Hampshire Year List have you counted stuff like Black Brant or is it BOU only. It doesn't matter if you did I would just like to know if that is what most Listers do coz you could get a lot more ticks going by the UK400 rules.
Thanks again
Lee

Did you see anything of interest during your time at Sparsholt Paul? i went for a walk round there once, and meant to go more regularly but never managed to get back! I did see a Little Owl there, my only one in Hampshire this year i think!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back