• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

and steve, did you know that you have a fan club. there was a couple in the hide at ivy lake who said " is that him" and then asked me if i was you lol ;)

and steve, did you know that you have a fan club. there was a couple in the hide at ivy lake who said " is that him" and then asked me if i was you lol ;)
:-O What can I say, I have a lasting impression on people! ;) Back in sept/oct, i must have had 20 people asking if i was 'stevethebirder' :-O

On a birding note, I had a male hen harrier at beaulieu road today.

:-O What can I say, I have a lasting impression on people! ;) Back in sept/oct, i must have had 20 people asking if i was 'stevethebirder' :-O

On a birding note, I had a male hen harrier at beaulieu road today.

can i have your autograph ;)

apparently there are 4 Bitterns at Titchfield Haven today plus Marsh Harrier (present all week), 9 Bearded Tits, Red-throated Diver, 3 Brambling and the Kingfishers

Lol
It might be time to pay titchfield a visit - esp. seeing as i haven't <cough> ever <cough> seen a bittern, despite spending a whole day last winter.....

Last edited:
The RBA newsmap says 2 rough legged buzzards @ blashford. ???

seriously I wouldn't trust the RBA map. Whenever I've tried it the locations have been mostly wrong. It probably means Barkford Ponds (is that a place) ;)

BirdGuides have been through this thread though, coz they've taken the Titchfield reports lol

seriously I wouldn't trust the RBA map. Whenever I've tried it the locations have been mostly wrong. It probably means Barkford Ponds (is that a place) ;)

BirdGuides have been through this thread though, coz they've taken the Titchfield reports lol

Or maybe Batsfjord Lake (Varanger, Norway), where there may well be a couple as we speak!

Good news if Birdguides are scanning this thread.. Last time I found something half decent I was exhausted after reporting it to Birdguides, HOSlist, here, my blog etc.!

Eagle -what eagle?

I see Birdguides have a report of the W-T-Eagle from the watchpoint again today, "mid-morning". Hmmm. I arrived there at 8:30, to hear that it had "just flown away", then at about 10 I saw a large bird in a distant tree, which could, maybe, have been an Eagle. Or a big Buzzard. Or a Raven. Or an Albatross.
Several people watched it and decided it was probably the Eagle. I'm afraid that ain't good enough for my year list. Oh well. Bird of the day was a male Blackcap, in the garden when I got home.
David

...then at about 10 I saw a large bird in a distant tree, which could, maybe, have been an Eagle. Or a big Buzzard. Or a Raven. Or an Albatross.
Several people watched it and decided it was probably the Eagle. I'm afraid that ain't good enough for my year list.

Should be able to get it on your 2008 yearlist!

I was in Spain when the Greater Yellowlegs appeared at Farlington and from what I read on hoslist that seemed to be ticked by more people than actually saw it ;)

I'm full of admiration for people who can identify distant dots that I can't pick out on the sea horizon or who are sexing a raptor while I'm still trying to work out which species it is - but the pleasure I get from birding is having good views and actually seeing enough to be able to ID it for myself (even if someone tells me what it is!).

You'll all be pleased to know that your fine county was graced by my presence today and yesterday, as I was getting good and rat-arsed on friday night in Pompey.

Friday daytime was spent at Farlington. 1 adult Med Gull was on the lake, with several Bearded Reedlings active in the reeds and a Water Rail below the boards. 3 other Rails were heard or seen dotted around the reserve. 1 Little Stint on the mudflats was a surprise apparent winter stayer. Also 1 Water Pipit by the pools on the east side, several very well marked Rock Pipits(?) on the RSPB island (possibly Littoralis?) and the usual Meadow Pipits. I'm sure there was another couple of notable sightings, but it's all a bit hazy now B :).

Today, after a big breakfast and some christmas shopping in Gunwarf, I headed along to the New Forest; specifically Mark Ash Wood and Blackwater Arbouretum. Mark Ash didn't produce the targeted Lesser Spots sadly, but there were a lot of singing Nuthatches, Marsh Tits, a Buzzard sat on an oak branch and other bits and bobs. Loveley weather though. Very atmospheric with the mist and sunshine through the trees.

The Arbouretum produced the ubiquitous Hawfinches, along with 2 Crossbills, a probable Goshawk briefly (huge, but only had a glimpse), several Bullfinches, Siskins and also the other commoner species.

Marvelous.

Jason

Last edited:
Blashford 24/12

4 Heron species from the Ivy Lake north hide today - Great White Egret flew close west across the lake at 10:06, Bittern showed 11:45 for about 7 minutes and then again 12:15 for a couple of minutes. Also a Water Rail and Kingfisher in front of the hide and a Peregrine flying west. In the afternoon on Ibsley Lake the Great White was on the western edge plus good numbers of Goosander and 1 Black-necked Grebe.

Out for a duck

I decided to try for a couple more on my year list today, so went to the Keyhaven area. There were a lot of people around, most of them sporting shiny new bins and scopes (with very large price tags recently removed) and asking questions like "is that a grebe?" Anyway, back to the birds - I had a very fruitful day, with:
1 Lapland Bunting near Cut Bridge (flew over, calling, I couldn't re-locate it on the ground)
2 Long Tailed Ducks
3 Velvet Scoters (Yes! Another bogey bird bites the dust :t:)
1 Goldeneye,
lots of Mergansers, Pintails, Wigeon, Teal, Shelduck, etc
a few Eiders and Gadwall
Dartford Warbler
1 Seal
Flocks of Dunlin, both Godwits, Grey Plover, Knot, Greenshank, Redshank, Curlew, Turnstone (the latter feeding in a field, with Rooks!)
And lots of the usual things (apart from raptors, which I somehow missed)
I suppose I should tot up my Hants year list now, but there are still another few days left....

Have a bird-filled New Year!
David

Had Great views of the Bittern this morning at Ivy Lake from the north hide but missed the Cattle Egret so failed to see 5 species of Heron at the same place.

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 65
Had Great views of the Bittern this morning at Ivy Lake from the north hide but missed the Cattle Egret so failed to see 5 species of Heron at the same place.

same happened to me yesterday except i saw the bittern for about 3 seconds as it flew from the short reeds to the tall ones on the right.

Also missed the 5th species by not finding the Great White despite staying until dark.

The Cattle Egret was at SU145115 approx at 10:35ish (it flew from the farmyard at 10:33). There were 62 Goosanders, 6 Ruddy Ducks, 8 Goldeneye, 2 Black-necked Grebes etc from the Goosander hide at dusk.

Nice pic, Lee

As an ex-Tadley and Silchester resident (north Hampshire) I thought I'd add an observation of certain historical interest: it must have been 1980 or 1981 when I saw a Wryneck in an overgrown orchard-garden in Tadley, between the public library and the chip shop. The species was extinct as a breeding bird in England at the time.

Steve
http://www.birdinginspain.com

Lower Test area

Having now retired from hampshire yearlisting (good fun and I've visited some new places which I'll go back to - but not really a sport for me!) I managed to spend a couple of hours on the patch this morning. The highlights were a very vocal Little Owl showing well in Hillstreet, a Common Sandpiper at Redbridge and a Ruff which flew south over the A35.

Heron fest

Looks like 5 herons in a day is beyond most of us, but I'll happily settle for the 4 species I saw today at Blashford. The Cattle Egret was showing well, close to the road at North End Farm at about 8:20 (I watched it for a few minutes, with no other birders in sight, while it fed on worms, then it flew off over the farmyard.) The Bittern was more elusive - it may well have been sitting in front of Ivy Lake North Hide all morning, but it took me about 2 hours to find it! Once found, it gave fantastic views.
5 Goosanders and a Black-Necked Grebe on Ibsley nicely rounded of the day. I think Jaws (the Great White) was hiding due to too much competition from other herons.
David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back