• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (2 Viewers)

Tom, David - sorry guys but spotted crake relocated 2ish by (ahem) yours truly, plus a couple of ospreys across the harbour! And at least one curlew sand and a couple of little stints. Magic! Apparently quite a few sightings of Water Rail, but I didn't see any. No sign of the Pectoral either.

Tom, David - sorry guys but spotted crake relocated 2ish by (ahem) yours truly, plus a couple of ospreys across the harbour! And at least one curlew sand and a couple of little stints. Magic! Apparently quite a few sightings of Water Rail, but I didn't see any. No sign of the Pectoral either.

At least I got a Water Rail!
How long did you have to wait for the Crake to appear?
David

At least I got a Water Rail!
How long did you have to wait for the Crake to appear?
David

You really don't want to know David - arrived, set up scope and the crake was the first bird I saw as I scanned along the reeds! It was all rather bizarre really. Though not as bizarre as trying to eat my packed lunch - some leftover spag bol - with a biro! (I forgot to take a fork). Trust me, it's not easy - but fun to watch. Not as much fun as the crake, of course.

Andrew

You really don't want to know David - arrived, set up scope and the crake was the first bird I saw as I scanned along the reeds! It was all rather bizarre really. Though not as bizarre as trying to eat my packed lunch - some leftover spag bol - with a biro! (I forgot to take a fork). Trust me, it's not easy - but fun to watch. Not as much fun as the crake, of course.

Andrew

You're right - I didn't want to know that!
How many people missed the Crake because they were so engrossed in your spaghetti-biro escapade?
Well done for finding the bird anyway - maybe I'll catch up with one, one day.
David

Fantastic day at Farlington on Saturday. Relative beginner, going on 'intermediate', as you'll have told from my previous posts, so always grateful when more experienced birders point things out. Set off in quite thick mist from whitchurch, blindly believing the weather forecast and by the time we got to the coast it was a beautiful day. Within 10 minutes or so of getting there the spotted crake was pointed out to us, and we saw a quite a group of bearded tits.

Some kind soul also pointed out a merlin on a fence a long way off, but to be frank even in the scope to me it could have been just about anything at that distance.

Then a seal showed well for some minutes off the end of the marsh, and to top it all we listened to Saints winning on the car radio as we came home.

Perfect day!

K.

Any suggestions please as to places nearer to our home in whitchurch that are worth visiting?

All the 'glamorous' birds seem to be on the coast, so we often go to Farlington and Warsash, and occasionally to Keyhaven etc, but apart from Winnal Moors, no obvious days out close to home occur. Obviously we walk around the fields in the whitchurch area itself, and indeed a red kite has lately taken to occasionally flying majestically over the paddock behind our garden, but it's not a day out.

Ideal criteria are: safe parking nearby, a pub for lunch, and birds that sit still, with exactly the same colouring as in the books!

K.

Southampton Common Firecrest

One today, round the back of the Hawthorns Centre. I also counted 23 Goldcrests (although I'm sure there were many more) and also more Coal Tits than usual. Added interest from 2 Swallows, a Treecreeper and a Heron.

David

Living in an inland county Buckinghamshire I needed some wader action. So a visit to the nearest coast brought me to Farlington Marshes today (4th).
The highlight of the day was a Little Stint on the wader scrape
Other birds included Dunlin,Knot, Black tailed Godwits, Grey Plover and Turnstone.

44 species seen in total.

Kevin

Just in case anyone has missed this/is not subscribed to Hoslist, (or Birdguides); Melodious Warbler at Barton today. It surely must be worth a look in the morning.

Brilliant picture of Red Backed Shrike - having missed it last Friday, I know where I'm going tomorrow! Hope it's still around.

Went to Lower Test at lunchtime today - quietest I've seen it in a long time (so reeeaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy quiet!) 3 Green Sand, 1 Water Rail and, erm, a Buzzard.

David

The Red-Backed Shrike was still there at Pennington this morning - I saw it first in the mist at about 8am, then in glorious sunshine at 10 and 11. There were also 2 Slavonian Grebes on the sea and a fly-over Raven, but very few waders.
A small flock of Crossbills at Beaulieu Road Station rounded off an excellent morning.

David

Keyhaven & Pennington

As David says the shrike still at keyhaven this morning, showing superbly when I was there. Also excellent views of a Short-eared Owl around midday, it flew all along the coast path and spent several minutes hunting around Fishtail. 2 Slavs, Eiders, Kingfisher, Water Rails, Rock Pipits, Greenshanks and 4-5 Dartfords also seen. 74 sp in total

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back