• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

I was at Northney early on Sunday before high tide, I didn’t see a LY. With the predicted jet stream for this week, maybe the time to look will be this weekend?

It was certainly a good weekend for BOP, Firecrest and Ouzels on Hayling, but unfortunately the good weather did bring out the sail boarders and kayaks that kept the wading birds on the move.

Makes sense starting at Northney, then a walk down Church Lane to check the bushes and the sea for the Brent flock, then over Farlington.

went to farlington marshes on sunday and saw a lot of birds despite conditions.
6 pintail had arrived, 1 ringed plover, thousands of brent geese and RED BREASTED GOOSE!

Ring-billed Gull - Gosport

Can any of you locals confirm how regularly the bird comes to the boating lake and whether any times / tide conditions are better?

I've dipped previously and was going to tie in another attempt with the Hooded Merganser. I get the impression from reports that at the moment it is often elsewhere in the creeks.

Also, for the Red-breasted Goose, which car park is the best - east or west?

Thanks.

Although there has been a considerable amount of construction work on the sea wall, and the first batch of large sub-single dumped on South Binness, the birds are still around Farlington and the sea. It doesn’t seem to have put them off at all.

Both male and female Merlins are about but keeping their distance from a juvenile male Peregrine who is also viewable on the islands. Two Buzzards and an early morning Marsh harrier, along with a pair of Ravens can usually be found.

The Brent are in good numbers, and there is amongst the flock a pale bellied and a Brant type. Shelduck are numerous as well as Pintail, in the channels, 21 Black-necked grebes, 2 slavonians, a red neck has been switching probably through disturbance from Chichester to Langstone Harbour since early December. Likewise all 3 divers have been doing the same, but it is more likely that only the GND will be seen now.

A female Scaup is about, along with a couple of common scoters and Mergansers.

Black-headed Gulls are just taking to the Oysterbeds along with a few Meds, Herring and Common are also in good numbers, a northern version of Herring Gull can also be found usually around Budds Sewage Farm.

Bearded tits have been by the hut, along with meadow and skylark. Avocets can be view easily from the Eastern Road path. Good numbers of Black tailed Godwits, not yet in their summer plumage, as well as Bar Tails.

Keyhaven Marsh

Some recent pictures taken on a recent visit to Keyhaven marsh, what a great place to bird and pass the time away.

Attachments

• Dunlin_Keyhaven_050914_s.jpg
    Dunlin_Keyhaven_050914_s.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Kingfisher_Keyhaven_050914_s.jpg
    Kingfisher_Keyhaven_050914_s.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Wheatear_Keyhaven_010914_s.jpg
    Wheatear_Keyhaven_010914_s.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 41
Went to Blashford Lakes today for the second time. While I missed the black-necked grebes and Long-Tailed Duck, a fellow birder was kind enough to let me view the Franklin's Gull through his telescope.

I was there on 25 Jan. Well worth a visit at low and incoming tide, check the tide tables for times.

Birds come and go, but in 2 hours walking from the car park along the western sea wall saw - Teal, Coot, Wigeon, Oyster Catcher, Dunlin, Redshank, Lapwing, Pintail, Little Egret, Mallard, Grey Heron, Shellduck, Moorhen, Shoveller, Brent Geese, Avocet, Stonechat, Common Snipe. Pipits, not sure which ones, they did not stop long enough, and I am not quick enough to ID them.

Well worth a look.

oldbalmand

Hi,

I'm visiting the area at the end of next week and want to look for lesser spotted woodpecker in the New Forest. According to Hampshire Bird News, there have been regular sightings at Mark Ash Wood around the car park. I wondered if anyone knew the grid reference to the car park being referred to or could give directions. I can't see a car park on the map in the Mark Ash Wood area.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian,

As you say, the car park isn't shown on the map, which makes a grid reference somewhat difficult. Take the Bournemouth road, the A35, west from Lyndhurst and after about 3 miles you come to a crossroads. Turn right in the direction of Boldrewood and about a mile or so after the two official car parks on the right of the road there is a large unmarked gravel area also on the right with room for several cars. As far as I know, it's the last available parking before Boldrewood.

Hope this helps.

Dave W

Hi Ian,

As you say, the car park isn't shown on the map, which makes a grid reference somewhat difficult. Take the Bournemouth road, the A35, west from Lyndhurst and after about 3 miles you come to a crossroads. Turn right in the direction of Boldrewood and about a mile or so after the two official car parks on the right of the road there is a large unmarked gravel area also on the right with room for several cars. As far as I know, it's the last available parking before Boldrewood.

Hope this helps.

Dave W

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your quick reply. I will give this a try when I get there.

Ian

Mark Ash Wood

Mark Ash Wood car park is shown on this map

http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=SU2473907206|Mark_s_Ash_s_Car_s_Park|3&v=h

I will be up in Hampshire next week and was wondering whether the Gosport Ringed-billed Gull was still present in Walpole Park. Any info. would be much appreciated. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back