• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hands on with new Mavens (1 Viewer)

It's thread derailments, or thread take-overs that annoy. That and pushing the latest and greatest, endlessly. Most forums do not allow this - it's not a matter of ''it doesn't bother me'', it's a matter of playing within the rules laid out for all of us to follow.

Just think if the rest of the forum started to emulate - we would have nothing but ''mine is bigger than yours''. I really don't understand the idea that we should give latitude for certain posters, especially when that latitude [extended to all] would eventually ruin this place completely.

And I don't think banning would be suggested by most - more of some positive encouragement to temper cheerleading and to allow threads to take their own course, without needless and repetitive intrusions.

This how I see it, regardless of the thread it becomes a Swarovski thread.

I have made a point of this in the past, but was shouted down by ''free-speech'' supporters.

I personally think it bogs down the forum and discourages discussion, especially from newbies that will be put off with all the rhetoric and hyperbole coming from one source. Any other forum I have been on [the mods] would have taken action ages ago. Look at Lume - banned after just a few days for claiming to be Jedi knight...or Sith or something, can't quite remember now.

I don't know if Lume was banned or if he just left. He brought it up after it became evident he had worn out his welcome but he threatened to return under another name.

Good riddance to him, one way or the other.

What he was doing was jerking around the people in the binocular forum who thought he was serious and who were trying to help him out.

Bob

Last edited:
I am in total agreement with James here. I respect everyone’s rights to freedom of expression, even dennis. However I feel those rights are bound by certain responsibilities. I was taught it was not OK to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. I joined here because it seemed the best available place for in depth discussion of germane optical topics. When dennis shows up it becomes all about dennis and whatever opinion he is holding to at the moment.

Dennis stifles discussion whenever he shows up on a thread. It becomes all about his opinion and his apparent desire to boost his opinion to the level of the only opinion that matters. From there it is a thread hijack. Unrestrained by BF moderation. James is absolutely correct...no other forum will tolerate that behavior. None.

Who is/was Lume? Glad I evidently missed that one. Did he just go away and resurface as dennis? The comment about jerking people in the binocular forum around seems germane.

Last edited:
When dennis shows up it becomes all about dennis and whatever opinion he is holding to at the moment.

Dennis stifles discussion whenever he shows up on a thread.

The above happens because the membership allows it to happen. Don't feed the trolls as they say, and thereby don't let the troll grow.

The above happens because the membership allows it to happen. Don't feed the trolls as they say, and thereby don't let the troll grow.

You are right. Why dennis is not universally on everyone’s ignore list is a mystery. There are some members who get too involved in dennis shennigans they need some moderation too. That probably has included me a time or two. However the stimulus is named dennis. Some properly applied adult supervision would stop the whole thing. I repeat, James is correct. Dennis would not last a week on any other optics forum. It has nothing really to do with freedom of expression.

Last edited:
You are right. Why dennis is not universally on everyone’s ignore list is a mystery. There are some members who get too involved in dennis shennigans they need some moderation too. That probably has included me a time or two. However the stimulus is named dennis. Some properly applied adult supervision would stop the whole thing. I repeat, James is correct. Dennis would not last a week on any other optics forum. It has nothing really to do with freedom of expression.

I would agree that, at times, this forum could use some applied adult supervision.......

I would agree that, at times, this forum could use some applied adult supervision.......

Something effectively illustrated by the way Bill Cook was whacked recently, a disgraceful performance imho.

Thicker skins should be required for BF binocular thread participants.

It usually make little difference ......if the forum is supervised or not....I am a regular member on a couple hunting sites and a few gun collecting sites....they all have their regular trolls....just try to ignore rude behavior on internet forums....if when out in public and someone acts like that, pound them...:t:

Steve:

You are right of course, I have used the "don't feed the troll" more than
any others on the site. The ignore feature is useful, but most users will
not, and still have to put up with the stuff.

Jerry

I am in total agreement with James here. I respect everyone’s rights to freedom of expression, even dennis. However I feel those rights are bound by certain responsibilities. I was taught it was not OK to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. I joined here because it seemed the best available place for in depth discussion of germane optical topics. When dennis shows up it becomes all about dennis and whatever opinion he is holding to at the moment.

Dennis stifles discussion whenever he shows up on a thread. It becomes all about his opinion and his apparent desire to boost his opinion to the level of the only opinion that matters. From there it is a thread hijack. Unrestrained by BF moderation. James is absolutely correct...no other forum will tolerate that behavior. None.

Who is/was Lume? Glad I evidently missed that one. Did he just go away and resurface as dennis? The comment about jerking people in the binocular forum around seems germane.
Steve. Let's not get bent out of shape because several people including me were criticizing your latest baby and start name calling. I won't resort to that. It is logical people are going to point out the similarities in design between the Maven and the Brunton because Maven was started by former employees of Brunton and have suspicions about how original the newly designed Maven really is. In my opinion it is strange that the newly developed 7x45 B2 has an AFOV of only 51.8 degrees when the comparable 9x45 B2 has an AFOV of 64.8 degrees and even the 11x45 B2 has an AFOV of 66 degrees and a lot of the specifications on the Maven's seem suspect including diopter ranges and transmission percentages. A lot of other people thought the same thing. Yet you call me a "Troll". That is childish. I question if Bird Forum is the correct sounding board for promotion of new products like the Maven when it is almost like free advertising. I thought the forum was for free discussion of binocular topics not sales pitches. I admit it is beneficial to have these excellent reviews on new unknown products as long as they are unbiased. That is why I will wait till more people have bought these new Maven's to get a better cross section of reviews to be guided by. Honestly, I have bought almost every reviewed unknown brand binocular on Bird Forum and none have measured up although I am very picky. I will admit that. I guess I have grown weary of the Blue Skies and Theron's and then here come's the "$1000 Game Changer." I reviewed binoculars for awhile and I know how it works.

Last edited:
I have a Maven B1 10x42. The easy on the eyes image is bright, sharp, natural, and colorful. It will satisfy 99% of users for its optics. The question as to how it compares...well I prefer the image of the Maven to the Conquest, but prefer the ergonomics of the Conquest. It might take some deciding between the Trinovid and the B1. I would say the image of the Trinovid is a bit better than the Conquest, but not everybody will agree here, just too many people see things differently. I somewhat prefer the ergonomics of the Trinovid, and I was impressed by the Trinovids I saw on display here recently. Image quality might be too close to call for some. The space between the barrels of the B1 is a tad on the narrow size for my liking. I don't know what these are like without the armor, so I can't say if an armor style narrower on the inside of the barrels would help. I would have no issues if the B1 was an only binocular. I prefer the B2 by quite a margin over the B1. The B2 ergonomics far outweigh whatever weight issues I might have. The B2 simply does not feel as heavy as the scale says it is. That and the smaller B3 are my preferred combination right now, but I could easily do with the B1 and B3 combo.

Thanks for the info...
So you HAVE a B1 10X42 and a B2? What magnification B2? Would it be possible to post a picture of both to compare?

I'm not really that concerned about weight. I carried a SLC 10X42 that weighed ~ 34 ounces for years and it didn't hurt me! |:D|

Thanks for the info...
So you HAVE a B1 10X42 and a B2? What magnification B2? Would it be possible to post a picture of both to compare?

I'm not really that concerned about weight. I carried a SLC 10X42 that weighed ~ 34 ounces for years and it didn't hurt me! |:D|

Sure. Just got a new Linux OS set up on my computer that I'm using. I need to get the photo deal figured out, so this is a good chance to do that

The B1 is a 10x42 and the B2 is the 9x45. My nephew's FIL has the B2 11x45.

Here is a brief review I did on the B3 & the Conquest HD. Not the sizes and models you are looking for, but maybe something worth noting.

"Hi,

I think I would have to agree with this suggestion.

Sounds like hiking portability, optics, and price are the criteria.

The 8x30's beat the 8x32 Conquest HD in weight and size, and also price. From what is posted on the net, it sounds like the Kite is slightly better optically than the Nikon, with none of them sub quality optically... but maybe the conquest getting the higher marks.

I have the conquest hd 8x32, have looked thru the Nikon 8x30 in stores, have never seen the Kite Lynx HD, and have a Maven B3 8x30. (I suspect the Kite is closer to the Maven than the Nikon).

Of the bunch, I would recommend the Maven B3 8x30 as the best fit for your criteria. It's size, weight, and optic quality combine to make it a great hiking companion, and it is within your budget.

Some general comments on the conquest hd. First, I've always seen my conquest hd as a hair less contrasty than most binoculars. I've only had the B3 for a short time but feel it has a bit more contrast which makes the overall image pop more and gives a slightly better sense of 3D. I've also noticed in flat light (overcast day looking at the crotch of a tree trunk beneath its canopy) that I was able to see more detail with the B3 than the Conquest HD. I still think the conquest has the bigger sweet spot, may possibly be a slight hair sharper (may be that the weight helps me hold steadier), and is easier and more comfortable for me to use than the 8x30 format. Also, the conquest HD has some sticky eyecups (read as sub par for operation/movement) which will be annoying if you adjust your eyecups regularly vs leaving them extended all the time.

Hope this helps,

CG

P.S. I also have the 8x30 EII. I don't find its size conducive for backpacking day hikes so it stays at home, but it may be the better optics of the bunch."

I too appreciate Steve's reviews....

Actually surprised the reactions of some and the direction this thread has gone...

My .02,

CG

Thanks for the info.... I've shied away from the 8X30 formats regardless of make for the most part. I have a couple of 32mm binoculars but I if I understand correctly those 30mms are a good bit more compact which could be useful when I'm on the motorcycle and space is tight.

Sure. Just got a new Linux OS set up on my computer that I'm using. I need to get the photo deal figured out, so this is a good chance to do that

The B1 is a 10x42 and the B2 is the 9x45. My nephew's FIL has the B2 11x45.

Okay great!

Would be on the fence on the 8X42 vs 10X42 tho it seems as if the 10X42 actually specs out a little better. The 9X45 IS the B2 I would consider.

Thanks...

Seems that way to me as well. Anyway dennis is on ignore now, where he should be for everybody.

Hello Steve C,

He has been on my ignore list ever since he made a truly nasty remark about Brock. The moderators were too kind to him, just deleting the post.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I question if Bird Forum is the correct sounding board for promotion of new products like the Maven when it is almost like free advertising.

I admit it is beneficial to have these excellent reviews on new unknown products as long as they are unbiased.

Dennis

Free advertising: you do mention your Swaro 10x50's rather excessively and promote their undoubted abilities with manic enthusiasm. I am not saying it is wrong to be enthusiastic about favourite bins, but others could see this as free advertising too, so don't be so quick to point fingers.

Being unbiased is almost impossible. When I review stuff I do try to bring out the best points in all the bins I test, but just having a personal preference for a wide field of view or zero chromatic aberration or a focuser that has even tension in both directions means that a reviewer is naturally biased towards those bins that satisfy these preferences. Its hard to overcome these instincts and thats without discussing loyalities to particular brands.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back