• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hanging Gardman Mealworm Feeder (1 Viewer)

Dan123

I bought a couple of years ago one of them Hanging Feeders with a dome on that you can adjust, to feed Mealworms. I was curious to know if anyone else has one, and has either had success, or if the feeder has worked and not brocken? lol :p

I must admit, I'm not to keen on the design now. I'm always frightened incase the dome breaks and shuts with a bird in. But having said that, I have never, ever seen a bird take worms from it. I have it out there now. None at all! The worms seems to get eaten if they are left out in the open on the sesh tray on the Pole.

Also only the Magpies seem to be eating the Mearlworms at the moment. I soak them in luke warm water first. Anyone else have success with the Mealworms of the MealwormFeeder?

lol yes it is exactly it! I once hooked it up on a Tree branch, thinking it would be ideal. The flipping hook detacthed and fell off! lol :p But yes that is the one I have. I've taken it down this morning and put the remaining mealworms on one of the mesh trays instead.

Yes, I've been using one of these, and other similar ones, for a couple of years. Haven't put mealworms in, though, just suet. It's great for keeping stuff dry. Wouldn't be without it.
So far, no sign of the lock failing, though that did happen once with a different type, not when a bird was in fortunately!

So do you get many birds use it for the Suet? I suppose I could maybe try that. Maybe it is just the Mealworms from there they don't want. Only the Magpie's seem to really want the Mealworms. It's their first choice of food, along with Suet. But thats left open and no smaller birds choose to eat them.

Yes, I've got it set so blackcaps, tits, robin and of course, starlings can access it. Try putting some mealworms in as well-(so long as they don't manage to get through the holes in the mesh if they're live ones). Once the birds have young, I doubt the mealworms will last long.

Yes I think that is one of the times in the season when they may visit for our food more often when they got their young. And the dead Mealworms would go down well for the little ones as well. I may try mixing it in sometime, at the moment I think I'll continue feeding them loose. The Magpie's seem to be depending on them for the moment and they would be open for all to see anyway.

The hook unscrewed many times.
It was rubbish.
Starlings nicked all the mealworms so we gave up putting them out in the day.
In the evening we put a dish of mealworms out & watched a few hedgehogs up close.

I am now out of Mealworms and the only birds that had eaten them were the Magpie's. I think a Blue Tit may have taken one I'm not sure. People say they are a good thing for birds all year round but they are choosing many other things over the Mealworms. So are they more likely to go down well then when they have their young after all? If so, I won't buy anymore until then.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back