• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hanningfield reservoir? (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
Hi

I have not been to this place for years now and really want to start going back there!...Is it still a good place for birding? Any hides? and what's around there at the moment. Anything special?

Thanks!!!

Not sure what's about as I only get there very, very rarely but it's pretty good when I've been and there are a number of hides scattered along the edge of the reservoir. I know a number of Black Tern were seen there last week but sightings seem very rarely reported on the site I look at.

As said on my recent message on the 'Essex Birding' thread, you can find news of what's been seen at places like Hanningfield Reservoir on the new Essex Birdwatching Society web site: www.ebws.org.uk. You'll see there yesterday's reports of 4 Little Ringed Plover and 9 Black Tern at Hanningfield.

Good birding - Stewart

I go down regularly and on Saturday I had 2 little Stint, Black Tern, Ruff, Gargany, Teal Wigeon, Pintail, Common Tern, Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Yellow-Legged Gull, Ringed Plover.
I find Its a very good place but RAWL, oak and Point hides are the best.

That's good - haven't seen Little Stint, Gargany or Yellow-legged Gull and as I only saw Common Sandpiper for the first time last week (up at Manningtree) would have found that a pretty superb day if I'd been there. :t: Mind you the last time I went I saw two new species, Black-necked Grebe and Goldeneye, so certainly couldn't complain. Haven't been since last year though - would go more often if they ran more regular buses out there, if you miss one you have to wait two hours for the next bus!

Could walk there really early one day and get the bus back, it's about 7 miles I think. Might be a nice walk if you can avoid getting mown down by the cars! Walking a lot around the reserve might be a bit rough after doing it though, especially doing the walk there with a pack full of camera gear and bins/scope/tripod! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back