• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hard to ID moth in SW Washington (1 Viewer)

archedwingtips

United States
Hello fellow moth enthusiasts! A friend posted a picture of this moth that they had rescued from under their car hood, and wanted help identifying it. I spent a few hours looking through the PNW moth and butterfly registry, but couldn't find anything that looked enough like the mystery moth for a positive ID. Does anyone know what species this is, or have any other resources for moth identification?

Thank you all kindly for your time!

-archedwingtips

Attachments

• 168218768_2886649424923229_6593411459481423978_n.jpg
    168218768_2886649424923229_6593411459481423978_n.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 8
I think the colouration is probably similar enough to be a zale lunata. The one in the picture might just be a regional colouration, or specific to sex and stage of life.

Thank you so much, Tired! I'm definitely going to look at springs of zale lunata moths by county, to see how they differ in colouration.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back