• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haris' Sparrow in California (1 Viewer)

Adamos

Just wanted to report my sighting of a Haris' Sparrow in my backyard for about a week last winter. It seemed to have came with some Golden Crowned or White Crowned Sparrows. A very rare observation, and the bird really stood out to all the others. Ive heard of some other sightings in California as well from last winter/ fall, anywone know where or anything else about them? Anyhow, this winter Ill be sure to see if he possibly returns.

Adamos said:
Just wanted to report my sighting of a Haris' Sparrow in my backyard for about a week last winter. It seemed to have came with some Golden Crowned or White Crowned Sparrows. A very rare observation, and the bird really stood out to all the others. Ive heard of some other sightings in California as well from last winter/ fall, anywone know where or anything else about them? Anyhow, this winter Ill be sure to see if he possibly returns.
I live in central Nebraska and today for the first time ever I seen a White Crowned Sparrow, aren't they just a pretty bird. I am still all excited for seeing it, it has returned to my feeder 5 times in the last 2 hours and brought a friend/mate.

Adamos said:
Did you happen to get photos of last year's bird? If so, I know the CRBC would be most interested in hearing from you. You might also post a query on the Calbirds listserve where someone would undoubtedly be able to tell you about the frequency of this species in the state:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS/

Will keep my fingers crossed that you see it in your yard again this year. :t:

Yes, it was indeed a awsome sighting. I wasnt able to catch a photo of it, but I did report it to the local birding club, so it is on record. I heard back that there were a few more reports of Harris's sparrows as well in the state last winter as well.

Oh, and yes White Crowned sparrows are very marvelous and beutiful sparrows. The Golden Crowns are always picking on them or chasing them away sadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back