• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have i just been scammed! (1 Viewer)

birdybird90

England
Hello people
Have just purchased a pair of what i thought to be carl zeiss jena 8x30 in excellent condition for £60. A friend has mentioned they had been faked in mass. So just wanted a few expert opinions on the matter. I suspect fake due to the 6 digit serial number and the screw placement. Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019_134436_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_134436_eBay.jpg
    990.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20231019_134439_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_134439_eBay.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20231019_134442_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_134442_eBay.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20231019_134448_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_134448_eBay.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
Hello people
Have just purchased a pair of what i thought to be carl zeiss jena 8x30 in excellent condition for £60. A friend has mentioned they had been faked in mass. So just wanted a few expert opinions on the matter. I suspect fake due to the 6 digit serial number and the screw placement. Any Info would be greatly appreciated
See below, complete with photos of fake and genuine.
Fake vs. genuine Zeiss Jena binoculars

Last edited:
They do look like the Japanese made versions, which started off as copies, but at some point (no idea when) became officially outsourced and therefore legit (kinda).

Have a look through them and see how you like them: they might not be the bestest bargain ever, but £60 isn't totally outrageous for a Japanese 8x30 with all the accessories these days. They are supposed to be not that great in terms of build quality, but the DDR made Jenoptems were not exactly the greatest in that department either. It'd be interesting to know how the multi-coating on those compared to CZJ's T3M.

these must be the ones i saw on ebay (pics look the same) but i noticed the serial number and thought fake

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Sorry that you got scammed - or rather the original owner, who probably paid quite a bit more for a pair of new CZJ in the 80s...

We would really love a review of those... ideally in direct comparison to the Made in Jena version, if at all possible...

Joachim, who would suspect quite similar performance...

Sorry that you got scammed - or rather the original owner, who probably paid quite a bit more for a pair of new CZJ in the 80s...
8x30 Jenoptems were very cheap binoculars in the UK back in the 80s. A price list from Vic Odden's in London from the mid 80s lists them for £39.95 including VAT. Makes you wonder why they were ever counterfeited in the first place.

8x30 Jenoptems were very cheap binoculars in the UK back in the 80s. A price list from Vic Odden's in London from the mid 80s lists them for £39.95 including VAT. Makes you wonder why they were ever counterfeited in the first place.

Hi,

ok, this is very cheap... otoh one 1985 pound was roughly 3,70 pounds today...

Seems east germany was so cash strapped that they tried to undercut everybody on optics...

Joachim

I'm no bin expert but I did want to wish you a warm welcome to BirdForum. Hope you enjoy your time with us :)

Seems east germany was so cash strapped that they tried to undercut everybody on optics...
Yes, I think that's the explanation.

A few newer CZJ models were not quite so cheap. The same price list has the 10x50 Jenoptem for £76.95, but the 8x50 Octarem is £159.95 and the 12x50 Dodekarem is £199.95.

The Nikon 8x30 E is £229.95 in that price list, almost six times the price of the CZJ 8x30 Jenoptem.

The bird watching organisation British Birds can be found at: British Birds

And copies of their journal from 1907 (!) to date can be found at: Volumes
(They were previously freely accessible, but now you're required to register as a user.)

During the 1980’s (at least), BB's used to conduct an annual survey of members choices of binoculars and telescopes.
The surveys collected a variety of data, including: most popular; most highly rated; most satisfactory; along with price listings.
Here are the price tables from 1983 and 1985 (the 8x30 Jena increased from £39 to £45):

BBS 1983 and 1985.jpg

So hopefully encouragement for some to register at BB's and dive into a wealth of historical information!

John

p.s. A similar archive for the Scottish Ornithologists' Club (established in 1936) can be found at: Past Issues
The older issues include advertisements for optics along with prices.

Last edited:
hi,

I don't think they were "fake" or "counterfeit" as such.

In the 1980's there was a big demand for Zeiss Jena binoculars.

I understand that Zeiss contracted a Japanese manufacturer to produce a lower price version of their 8x30 and 10x50 Jenoptems which they sold mainly
through discount outlets such as Dixons and Argos.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back