• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you seen a Yellow Hammer? (1 Viewer)

buckofdurham

United States
Have you seen a Yellow Hammer?
I've been seeing it recently. Although it's very skittish. I call it the elusive Yellow Hammer.
He has bright yellow under his wings.
BTW- I'm not sure how to tell the male from the female. Do you?20230122_102809.jpg20230122_102811.jpg20230122_102802.jpg

What you seem to have here is an adult female Northern Flicker. In the eastern sub-species, it does have bright yellow underwings.

A Yellowhammer is a bunting found in Europe and Asia.
Thanks for the reply, I've always called it a Yellow Hammer, just sounds better then a N Flicker 😀

I'll have to look up that Bunting.

I guess that someone has to be unlucky...😲
MJB
The garden backs onto farmland with a scrubby hedge so Yellowhammer (UK variety ;) )aren't that uncommon. Harsh winters can bring them in in reasonable numbers. Of course the farmland is now under threat for housing... :mad:

does the male have bright yellow feathers all over his body, while the female has more of a dull yellow color with brown streaks?
The Northern Flicr (Yellow Hammer)
The yellow is on the underside of both male and female, under the wings.
You can see a female in the OPs original pic.

The (Bunting) Yellow Hammer is probably more similar to your description.
It's pictured above.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back