• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your silliest/most entertaining/unlikely birding accomplishments (2 Viewers)

Can't quite say it was near-death, not a plane expert but pretty sure everyone would have survived in this particular case (it mad multiple engines) - the plane would have needed significant repairs at the very least.

Yeah but “near inconvenient experience” doesn’t have the same ring ;)

The one that really stands out for me is trying to hitchhike the 35 miles home from the airport in early morning, when I happened upon an unknown bird to myself which had been hit by a car.
I helped it off the highway so that it’s last moments wouldn’t be filled with terror of having cars rushing by at 60+ mph, when I realized that it might just have a dislocation or something that it could actually recover from.
I’d only received two rides so far and had already been walking for quite a while when I found the bird close to the end of a long climbing grade. Well, the bird needed help, and I made the decision to take it with me 10 miles back to the veterinarian, which was almost back to the airport again.
No one had given me a ride for most of the last five miles, and all it took to get a ride was to walk across the highway and stick out my thumb on the way back to town. Very first car to come along picked me up, of course, and he took me all the way to the vets, which was a huge stroke of luck. However, luck had one more gigantic card to play, and the feeble, shivering, and immobile little bird suddenly jumped out of my hands and started skittering around the floor of the truck. I quickly opened the door so that I’d have the best access to just getting it back in hand again, but the moment I started to reach for it, it was already on its way down into the parking lot and under the truck. Knowing I was trying to catch it seemed to be all that was needed to send it airborne again and out of our sight.
All we could do was laugh at the irony of trying to save a bird that apparently needed nothing more than a bit of rest, and my wasted 20 miles of travel so far in order to save it. With nothing else to do, I thanked him for the ride, walked across the road and started hitchhiking back out of town, again.

Flying on a Skytrans Dash 8 up Cape York, we had just taken off from Kowanyama when I saw two White-bellied Sea Eagle way too close, and the pilot veered abruptly left. The day we were due to fly back we got delayed a night because our Skytrans plane had a bird strike at Aurukun and was out of service. Thank fully there was not a third time unlucky.

Not a crazy story, but when my friend gave me a lift back from the Eastern Black-eared Wheatear twitch he was astounded to hear that I had never seen a Northern Wheatear. It was my second year in the country.

The jammiest bird I've ever seen (though not particularly rare or spectacular) is Lesser Shortwing.

The first time I saw one was in Frasers Hill in Malaysia in 2015. This was my first birding trip to Asia. I was walking along one of the trails when I heard a bird that I mistakenly thought was White-tailed Robin, a bird I really wanted to see. I played the tape for a bit but realised the call was different so gave up. However, I left my phone running by mistake before putting it in my pocket and the next call was Lesser Shortwing. By the time, I'd realised I'd left the speaker on and went back into my pocket, the Lesser Shortwing was sat on the path 3m away calling away.

The second time I saw this species was equally silly. I was in Doi Inthanon with friends and we'd just successfully taped out Himalayan Shortwing. For no good reason, I decided to play Lesser Shortwing and drew an instant response, getting a lifer for my friends.

The Sunbittern in Panama also stands out. This had always been a bucket list bird but somehow I'd always missed them or they were just heard only. We were looking at El Valle de Anton but without success. Someone had told us to go to a bridge just before it was light so we did but this only brought spectacular views of a Paca.

About half an hour later, we heard a Spectacled Owl so we were looking for that when we heard a Sunbittern. The river was a good 40m away so we trespassed I'm the woods at Canopy Lodge (which had kicked us out the previous day when we'd gone in to inquire about access). After scrambling through woods and on a steep cliff, I thought I'd found it only to realise it was a Fasciated Tiger Heron (really scarce in Panama).

We returned to the evening and found a slightly better viewpoint. No sign of the Sunbittern nor anything else until my friend managed to drop his expensive glasses down the small cliff into the river. As someone who used to go rock climbing, I ended up clambering down, cutting myself (not badly) on a tree in the process. I rescued his glasses which landed in just about the only place that meant they didn't smash. I got back up the cliff and reunited my friend with his glasses. After about 20 minutes, it was getting dark so we discussed giving up when my friend (looking through those same glasses!) spots a Sunbittern sat there silently. By this time, it was pretty much dark but we watched it sing for 20 minutes. A pretty magical experience!

In early 2002, I picked up a few lifers while transiting through Hong Kong. I then hopped on a plane, crossed the dateline, landed in Vancouver, and within an hour or so picked up Western Grebe as a lifer at a time of day (same date) that was earlier than at least two of my lifers in Hong Kong (Blue Rock Thrush and White Wagtail).

I was trapped behind an electric fence in a remote Alaskan valley. A trio of polar bear were doing their best to get through that fence but thankfully it was holding up.

As the bears probed and bellowed, a lifer flew into view and landed not 100 feet away. To which I promptly started the ooooh ahhhhhh corrrrr lifer crickey wicked cool lifer! jig.

Then it was back to being terrified for 48 hours as the bears stayed right on us until a supply truck came and had bigger better ways to deal with them

I was trapped behind an electric fence in a remote Alaskan valley. A trio of polar bear were doing their best to get through that fence but thankfully it was holding up.
As the bears probed and bellowed, a lifer flew into view and landed not 100 feet away. To which I promptly started the ooooh ahhhhhh corrrrr lifer crickey wicked cool lifer!
I only saw ptarmigans and arctic fox up on the north slope, but running around out there did carry a bit of attentiveness looking for them if-it-moves-it's-food polar bears.

Many years ago I was out mountain biking with friends in the Peak District National Park.

A cold, grey autumn morning dodging puddles. As we headed across one trail my mates realised that the wet pasture had a few interesting mushrooms growing there including lots of Liberty Caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) aka ‘Magic mushrooms’.

They gathered loads and we continued on our adventures. Later the wind picked up so we dropped into one of the innumerable comfier plantations in the area to eat our lunch. At this point the others decided it would be a good idea to start taking the ‘shrooms. I declined, having tried them a few times in the past and, although I found the experience really very interesting, came to the conclusion that they weren’t for me; I prefer to be in total control of my mind and body and felt that sometimes those lines were a little blurred so to speak.

Anyway we sat there and the plantation was deathly silent. Not a bird, just the sound of the wind in the trees. The guys began their trip and for some reason I thought it might be worth seeing if a little pishing might bring a few birds out of the trees.

I said “Watch this!” and began gently “pish pish pishing.” To cut a long story short within minutes we were literally surrounded by Goldcrests, the males came within a few metres and they were all calling and flashing their crowns like fireworks!!

I can still see the birds and the wide-eyed looks on my friends faces; one of wonder and amazement. It was the first time they’d seen Goldcrests and they certainly put on a show for them. “How the hell did you do that!?” they asked, thinking I was some kind of Doctor Doolittle…😂

That really was a magical moment.. (excuse the pun).

Interesting that this species is being utilised in a clinical setting for the effective treatment of PTSD etc. Personally I find the whole idea of anyone being punished for using a naturally occurring substance completely and utterly ridiculous,, especially considering some of the crazy things that are actually legal. (My beloved grandfather had lung cancer - and one removed because of tobacco, grandmother addicted to tranquillisers, abusive alcoholic father etc).

I find the idea that a person should be locked in a cage like an animal for consuming safe natural drugs is quite sinister. Consenting adults should be allowed to do whatever they like as long as they are careful and considerate.

Anyway stay safe people and have fun!

Good Birding

Andrew

A few years ago now, walking between Cardross and Ardmore Point in Argyll. Stopped for a pee in a bush, as a pair of goosander flew upriver past me, head height, no more than 15 feet away, perfect for a photograph, if my hands had been free.....

Similarly, the Sma' Glen in Perthshire last summer. Went off the path for a pee, stood underneath the telegraph wires, as a cuckoo was being harrassed by a meadow pipit. Again, photography opportunity lost due to shortage of available hands.

may 1996

it was quiet birding wise so when a common crane was seen at st marys northumberland i headed off picking my mate up on the way its a 250 mile round trip got there nothing so headed home we chose to stop of at hicksons flash near fairburn ings, just a flooded field that attracts waders, the closest birsd are 4 dunlin about 30 yards away feeding away, all of a sudden my mate says "this looks odd" "its very stripy" i said after a few moments it became aparant we were watching west yorkshires first broad billed sandpiper! lifer and a stunning summer bird. with no mobiles back then i jumped in the car and headed to the visitors center........it was shut! walked around and found the staff having a bbq! i ended the bbq with "broad billed sandpiper hicksons" loaded as many rspb staff that would fit in my ford fiesta,drove as far down the track is i could they all got out and saw the bird as i ran to phone the news out
it was nice to see charlie winn on the opposite side of the flash with his bike giving the thumbs up. few weeks later i was chatting to garry taylor who told me that he was doing the bird race and saw 4 dunlin on hicksons in the morning he was gutted to learn that one was a broad billed sandpiper, i also got stick from a photograhper claiming we had suppressed the bird! it was found late evening and you aint getting up from nottinghamshire in time

6th may 2000

so saturday morning im heading to fairburn, as i pass ikea on the M62 the pager goes off "alpine accentor st margarets at cliffe" so i go down the motorway the usual long boring drive............but nothing since the first message but hopefull i carried on and on.........i started to see signs for grove ferry so i must be close but no id taken the wrong road! i was now heading away from st margarets then news broke "no sign" so i ended up spending my saturday driving to kent having a shandy the getting home at 130am and had a kebab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back