• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

Broad Billed Fairy Wren

Saw Broad Billed Fairy Wren near Kwatu Lodge nr Kiunga PNG May 2012.

Hope to see Usambara birds in Nov/Dec this year.

Well, my list is still pretty pathetic, but in doing research for a Borneo trip next year, I would assume no-one has seen Dulit Partridge, Bornean Peacock Pheasant or Spectacled Flowerpecker (which only 3 people in the world has seen from what I've read). Possibly no-one has seen Hose's Broadbill, but relatively speaking it's much easier than the above 3.

edit: I was surprised to see that someone has seen Dulit Frogmouth though!

at least one BF member has seen the peacock-pheasant

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191580&highlight=peacock-pheasant

although under Larry's rules it could be a good bird to stick on the not seen list. I think it is relatively easier to see in kalimantan than in sabah which explains why it's not seen that often.

spectacled flowerpecker; i'm sure no-one on BF will have seen it is but it's undescribed (rules Larry?).

hose's broadbill is easy enough that someone will have seen it i'm sure - probably not worth adding

good shout on dulit partidge though, although i'm not sure if it is allowable taxonomically (not a universal split)

thinking of bornean endemics (and going off on a tangent) javan green magpie might be a good one also?

james

at least one BF member has seen the peacock-pheasant

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191580&highlight=peacock-pheasant

although under Larry's rules it could be a good bird to stick on the not seen list. I think it is relatively easier to see in kalimantan than in sabah which explains why it's not seen that often.

spectacled flowerpecker; i'm sure no-one on BF will have seen it is but it's undescribed (rules Larry?).

hose's broadbill is easy enough that someone will have seen it i'm sure - probably not worth adding

good shout on dulit partidge though, although i'm not sure if it is allowable taxonomically (not a universal split)

thinking of bornean endemics (and going off on a tangent) javan green magpie might be a good one also?

james

James,

You're probably forgetting James E and Rob H have both dropped in here. They've more of less cleared up in the region, including the Broadbill (multiple times) and I'm sure James' has seen the Magpie. The Dulit Patridge may be a good call, but JE could well have seen that as well. Increasingly hard to find anything that the lads haven't seen!

cheers, a

James,

You're probably forgetting James E and Rob H have both dropped in here. They've more of less cleared up in the region, including the Broadbill (multiple times) and I'm sure James' has seen the Magpie. The Dulit Patridge may be a good call, but JE could well have seen that as well. Increasingly hard to find anything that the lads haven't seen!

cheers, a

I wish I had that partridge Al, not even heard it despite spending a lot of time in central Borneo looking for it. Very good shout though - I'm not aware of any modern day records.

I've seen the Peacock Pheasant - 3 of them, including exceptional views of a male that circled me 3 times!
Just 3 endemics to go on that island, no an easy place to clean-up!

Fortunately I've seen Javan Green Magpie - once in 2005, now that is a hard one to catch up on!

You still have one or two up on me Al - Timor Green Pig springs to mind!

James

Not sure what to do with this one? Is the Dulit Partridge a subspecies or a full species? I may want to check with our BirdForum guru on taxonomic classification, Richard Klim, and ask him what the current thought is on the "long-billed partridge(s)".

From Wikipedia on Dulit Partridge:

"It is found in the Malay Peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests. It is threatened by habitat loss. There are two distinct subspecies; the nominate race R. l. longirostris is relatively widespread, while R. l. dulitensis, sometimes considered to be a full species known as the Dulit Partridge or Hose's Partridge (R. dulitensis), has a very restricted range in the mountains of central Borneo."

According to Avibase - the world bird database , this taxon is now split into:

Rhizothera longirostris and Rhizothera dulitensis

http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?avibaseid=E2456BC24E4C0CDF

While it appears, from looking at Birdlife International, there are two distinct races, but not two species yet.

* I think I am going to bed, I am beginning to get a headache! ;)

Dulit (or Hose's) Partridge is not accepted by the Clements list but by the IOC list (and the last version of Dickinson). So it's included in the Opus.

André

Not seen:
Dulit Partridge (aka. Hose's Partridge) * May or may not be a full species.
[Spectacled Flowerpecker (we will wait on this one until it is described and given a scientific name)]

Seen:
Hose's Broadbill seen by Chris
Bornean Peacock Pheasant seen by James
Javan Green Magpie seen by James

From the list posted by Steve Chestnut-bellied Cotinga and Chestnut-headed Nunlet seem like pretty good bets for species no one on this thread has seen.

In the 1990s I spent quite a bit of time in Podocarpus NP where some of the first records of Chestnut-bellied Cotinga were made (though identified as Bay-vented at the time), but I never ran into one. There are a couple of places in northern Ecuador where the cotinga may be a little easier to find but they are rarely included on birders' itineraries.

From the list posted by Steve Chestnut-bellied Cotinga and Chestnut-headed Nunlet seem like pretty good bets for species no one on this thread has seen.

In the 1990s I spent quite a bit of time in Podocarpus NP where some of the first records of Chestnut-bellied Cotinga were made (though identified as Bay-vented at the time), but I never ran into one. There are a couple of places in northern Ecuador where the cotinga may be a little easier to find but they are rarely included on birders' itineraries.

know some people here in Colombia that have seen the Cotinga but I am afraid they do not visit BirdForum ;-)
have myself looked for it a couple of times without success yet!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back