• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID help please. Rhode Island (1 Viewer)

RIR

Saw this in my backyard this morning. It was eyeballing a squirrel for possibly breakfast. I must have spooked it taking pictures before it could pounce on the squirrel. I have a sharpie hawk that visits but this one looks very different from that one. It does not look like the Coopers in the book I have, but it does look exactly like another persons 2cy? Coop posted on here.

Attachments

• DSC00714(1).JPG
    DSC00714(1).JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00710(1).JPG
    DSC00710(1).JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00712(1).JPG
    DSC00712(1).JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I'd agree you have a juvenile Cooper's there. Fine streaking, chunky legs, square head, general build and apparent size all support it. I think the slightly-raised hackles are also good for Cooper's.

(Terrific shots, by the way).

Last edited:
Looks like a young Cooper's to me also (but my choices are usually wrong). Very nice pictures, good detail.

You are all correct.
Your bird is Juvy Coop (hatched in 2006).

Grey squirrel is a big nut to crack for a Cooper's Hawk.
Grey squirrels weigh aprox 400-800 grams...
Largest female Coop I have seen (without crop) was 549g

Thanks for everyones help. I have no experience with birds or hawks. Just a backyard admirer. Whatever flies in my yard I take pictures of.

There were 4-5 other squirrels in the yard when this hawk landed and they all froze motionless for the 2-3 minutes while this was perched on the fence. I don't believe the squirrel in the picture even realized it was there.

I have had a sharpie hawk land on the fence before and the squirrels just carried on without a concern. This one, however, made them all drop what they were doing and not take theirs eyes off of it until it flew away.

Attachments

• DSC00709b.JPG
    DSC00709b.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I agree fully with a 2CY Cooper's Hawk. I just want to point out - some people use, as a field mark, the 'frightened' Sharpie face vs. the 'fierce' Coop face - this is one of those photos (along with many others) where that ID mark clearly does not support the bird's true identity, as the bird is certainly a Coop.

Agreed. Juv. Coopers. Look at the size of the leg and Talon on what appears to be a 6 by 6 fence support and compare it with the size of the squirrel in what appears to be a 10" or 12" pot. The bird probably figured the squirrel was a bit too big to go after. I've seen RTH's and Goshawks take squirrels but they are big enough to handle them. BTW, nice pictures!
Bob

With photos of this quality no question , juvenile coop ( likely female).
Often I make an initial judgement differentiating coops from sharpie when I see the flatter head of cooper's hawk in side profile.
These photos show that characteristic pretty clearly.

I amno expert on hawks but very interested in photographing them. Her is a close up of a sharp-shin hawk I was told

Attachments

• NewHawk1EM.jpg
    NewHawk1EM.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 130
Ed Treuter said:
I amno expert on hawks but very interested in photographing them. Her is a close up of a sharp-shin hawk I was told

Nice Sharpie shot! Small head, small bill, dark nape, skinny legs...

RIR,
I am in agreement with the juvenile Cooper's Hawk. The one feature that I rely on identifying Hawks on a whole is the tail. Granted , you can't see the tail in your (outstanding, I may add) photos, but I always am comfortable with an I.D. of a raptor if I can see the tail. Length, silohette(sp?)or the cut of the feathers and BANDINGS / BARS of color narrow down the possibilities. Thank for the great shots of this beautiful bird.

C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back