• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Endurance monocular vs Bushnell Legend Ultra monocular (2 Viewers)

winginit

I'm considering a monocular purchase and have narrowed it down to the Bushnell Legend 10x42 Ultra HD monocular (black) or the Hawke Endurance ED 10x42 monocular. Wondering if the Bushnell is worth twice the cost of the Hawke? Anybody have experience with both? Thanks!

I shopped both models. The Bushnell seemed to generally get better reviews, plus I had plans to put a pistol grip forward on the Bushnell's.
This was interrupted by my realization that a standard pair of binoculars gave me more stability, thus a better view than a monocular.
But, yeah, if you are set on the monocular, the Bushnell would be hard to beat.

Many have difficulties holding a 10x binocular steady and, as Rob pointed out, a 10x monocular will pose a much bigger challenge.
There has even been advice here on the forum for those with severe sight impairment in one eye to buy a binocular for the steadier view.
IMO monoculars are best used for observing insects at close range or as small pocket instruments to get a better view of exhibits in museums or galleries.
There I think magnifications between 4x and 6x are ideal.

John

Thanks Rob and John. I was originally looking for open-bridge bins to use one-handed while taking photographs. I wanted good optics with descent reach that weighed under a pound. Not too many binocular options in my price range, so a monocular seemed like a good alternative. What are your thoughts on an 8x monocular?

Yeah, both models mentioned come in 8x. Would be an improvement. Have you thought about a reverse Porro prism? Most are tiny enough to use one-handed and would be much more stable.

If you are not restricted in spending between $375 - $415. I would highly recommend the Professional Grade Opticron DBA VHD + Monoculars. They are Japan sourced with ED glass elements, having large ocular eye lens with very good eye relief for eye or sun glass wearers. I have owned both, the 8x and 10x versions. With the 8x having 22 mm of eye relief, being the most friendly/comfortable monocular I have ever used. Monoculars can be challenging to use, so if you are set on a pair you will not find a more easy or more comfortable monocular to bring to your eyes than these. Yes, they are pricey but they are the best and only 42mm Alpha Professional Grade Monoculars available with 42mm objectives you can now buy.

Thanks Rob and gcole for your recent comments. Several people have cautioned against monoculars for one handed use so I'm back to the original idea of small open bridge bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back