• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawke frontier ed which mark (1 Viewer)

warren30

hi everyone I am about to purchase some bin's as early Xmas present,testing some hawke frontier ed tomorrow £350 in shop I'm going.what I would like know will these be mk 11.as one shop told me hawke have new frontier oc ed coming out I can only order them.or are they all the same I know the mk 1 are cheaper,don't want to get ripped of buying old bin's at new prices.don't want to consider buying them if new ones are coming out. I know the optricon's I looked at our the new range.

thanks warren

Warren
I am surprised you did not look thru some of the threads before posting this. If you look in the "Others" thread there are several discussions on the differences between the MK I & II and some links to reviews. No point in rehashing this again.

hi lilcrazy I have read throu them,when I went in to one local shop they told me hawke are bringing a new frontier ed out and that I had to order it they can't stock it it's new, they allso said there is new catalogue coming out in next few weeks,some shops around me have the mk11 down here.I just wanted to make sure there wasnt a mark 111 available soon,and that the guy in my local store was talking about the mk11,he wouldn't call it that.

Warren, MkII has been out a while now. They differ in looks. Ebay will show the differences between the models so you will know visually.

thanks veracoha,so does that mean the salesman in shop is selling a mk11 which I can order,there def ain't a new version say mk111 coming out in next few weeks I'm a bit confused by both salesmen,one has the mk11 in the other says he can't get it anymore only the new one which he can order told me it's not mk11

thanks everyone for the help,I know that the ed's in the shops are the same mk11 just one has them in, and the other shop can only order dosent hold stock,least I can buy now knowing a mk111 isnt coming out at Xmas like was told by salesperson.looks like off to the shops tomorrow last tests then I could be £330 worse off but with some ed's in my hands.sorry for the confusion I've caused with this thread

I tried two samples of the Hawke Frontier ED, which looked very similar to the Zen Ray ED2. And the new MkII looks very similar to the ZR ED3. In fact, they appear to have the same housing:

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/zened3-8x43.html

The ER was shorter in the Frontier ED than it was in the open bridge Frontier PC. The ED is also longer. What I didn't like about the PC version were the "humps" on top that extend into the open space. If you scroll down the Hawke page to the Frontier PC photo, you can see almost see this with the shadows cast on the "humps".

Image wise, I liked the PC version better than the ED. The ED had some weird distortion whereby I found it hard to "hold" the image. I tried two samples just in case the first one was out of collimation or had some other issue, but both were the same.

If they didn't have the "humps" on the PC's open bridge, I might have bought one, because they would have been more comfortable to hold than the Monarch ATB, and close in image quality to the Monarch ATB, but with a wider FOV. They were both priced at $225 at Sportman's Liquidation Outlet. A good bang for the buck.

Brock

hi brocknroller I managed to get to my local shop today and test the frontiers I tested the mk1 mk11 and the oh frontier pc,and like you I liked the oh frontier pc they seemed brighter then the ed's it was a very cloudy day,the ed's felt nice,the salesman has said come back on bright day test both again before making choice,I tried 8x and 10x really liked the 10x especially new mk11 ed's,I'm getting closer lol he has a optricon imagic coming in too I can compare them all then all in my budget

Warren

I purchased a pair of Hawke Frontier 10x43 ED three years ago, they are outstanding binoculars, if you are comparing them to other makes do it late in the day when the light is poor, I think you will find that the Hawkes outperform any other model of a similar price in poor light, you should also be able to pick up a pair for less than £300 if you shop around; London Camera Exchange is a good place to start

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back