• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helios binoculars (1 Viewer)

pseaman

It is a while since I was on this site, so long that I had forgotten my log in details and had to re register, but I do remember what a friendly and helpful lot you are. I have suffered with Macular Degeneration for a few years but by swapping around among my small selection of bins at times I've managed to keep on birdwatching and watching local RAF planes. My present "best" binoculars are a pair of Helios Ultrasport 8x42,taking over from the 8x32 Opticron Countryman but the centre hinge has become loose. I contacted the importer OVL but they were unwilling to help and suggested I contact Viking Optical for a quote,probably more than the bins cost in the first place. I had been managing very well with porro prisms but hand grip problems makes this painful.. Can anyone tell me how to tighten the centre hinge ? On this model it is an open hinge design and the ocular setting is also on the top hinge. Any help welcome I might even end up using some way of fixing the hinge solid at the best position.

tighten the hinge

The cap between the front lenses removes to gain access to the tripod socket but it also allows access to the two parts of the front hinge. It is not particularly easy to adjust although very simple in design. You will need to turn the front part which has two slots for a screwdriver whilst stopping the rear part from turning so the pressure between the two parts is increased.

tighten the hinge

The cap between the front lenses removes to gain access to the tripod socket but it also allows access to the two parts of the front hinge. It is not particularly easy to adjust although very simple in design. You will need to turn the front part which has two slots for a screwdriver whilst stopping the rear part from turning so the pressure between the two parts is increased.
Thanks Richard it worked

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back