• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Everyone and Dunnock information needed (1 Viewer)

wurzle

Hello from A newbie....I have some Dunnocks nesting with three/four chicks that are now being fed by a Blackbird and i have not seen the Dunnock parents for two days.The Blackbird is doing an excellent job but is this unusual and will they fledge etc ?..THANKS ! :h?:

How do you know that they are the Dunnock's chicks?

It would be amazing if what you think you are seeing is true!

Welcome to BirdForum by the way.

Sean

Sean F said:
How do you know that they are the Dunnock's chicks?

It would be amazing if what you think you are seeing is true!

Welcome to BirdForum by the way.

Sean
Hi...They are certainly Dunnocks (small blue eggs) and i watched them build the nest and feed the young until a few days ago when this male Blackbird took over and now i have not seen the Dunnocks since..I must mention that this blackbird is a tame bird that has been around my garden since last year and will feed from my hand.I watched him go into the nest last night with a mouthful of food and fly out empty.

Hi wurzle, Any chace of taking some photos? what a funny situation, please keep us posted, I would love to get a progress report

pie said:
Hi wurzle, Any chace of taking some photos? what a funny situation, please keep us posted, I would love to get a progress report
Photos of nest sight (ivy on my fence panel),nest with young (is this legal ?) and Blackbird with food .sorry if taking photo of young is illegal.

Attachments

• 000_2834nest 21.jpg
    000_2834nest 21.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 205
  • dunnock.jpg
    dunnock.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 251
  • blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 236
wurzle said:
Photos of nest sight (ivy on my fence panel),nest with young (is this legal ?) and Blackbird with food .sorry if taking photo of young is illegal.

Don't worry! It certainly is not illegal. It is illegal to physically disturb the nest however.

Anyway, it certainly seems like what is happening. Amazing!

At the risk of being a party-pooper, the site gallery rules state

ATTENTION GALLERY USERS
Please do not post any photos of NESTS, EGGS OR NESTING BIRDS

and I imagine that applies to pictures in threads too...

I came across this forum because I was intrigued by the close "companionship" of my resident dunnock and a pair of blackbirds. I feed the birds in winter and have noticed that the dunnock is the only bird the blackbirds will tolerate. Indeed the male blackbird chases off the female blackbird sometimes but never the dunnock. When the blackbird comes to feed, the dunnock arrives too and vice versa. The observation of a blackbird feeding dunnock chicks sounds odd, but I have found a reference to the same behaviour from 1968. see:
www.britishbirds.co.uk/search?model=pdf&id=4429
It's a pdf and worth a read. The author kept a record of the visits. The feeding was reciprocal between blackbird and dunnock families. Any ideas? Do the blackbirds mistake the dunnock for a blackbird chick?

I have also seen this companionship feeding between Dunnocks and Blackbirds
on numerous occasions. I can only assume that the Dunnock is offered some
protection, from being picked on by other birds, in feeding alongside the Blackbird.
Why the Blackbird doesn't seem bothered by the other bird's presence is a bit of
a mystery to me.

At the risk of being a party-pooper, the site gallery rules state

ATTENTION GALLERY USERS
Please do not post any photos of NESTS, EGGS OR NESTING BIRDS

and I imagine that applies to pictures in threads too...

Why? If its a genuine question that needs a photo to explain behaviour, I think that perfectly ok, nothing illegal, and as long is the nest is not physically disturbed as the Tri-Counties Birder has already pointed out.

Sounds very good, I have a couple of blackbirds that protect some of the little birds.

They are truly lovely birds, quite tame as well.

Hello.
I dont want to be a killjoy but after seeing the photos of the chicks i am inclined to veer in the direction of wondering if they are blackbird chicks and some confusion has occured?

Peter

Hello.
I dont want to be a killjoy but after seeing the photos of the chicks i am inclined to veer in the direction of wondering if they are blackbird chicks and some confusion has occured?

Peter
Well if you saw the op you would see the observer saw the Dunnocks building their nest and also saw the blue eggs no mistakeing them for colour and size.

Have read of British/European robins feeding the young of other species.

Have heard of this too. Great tits have been known to feed or help rear blue tit chicks.

All very fascinating. Any other species seen rearing or feeding another species
chicks?

Si.

Hello Coal Tit.

Yes i saw the original posting and note that the observer observed Bright blue eggs. If we focus on the Pictures of the chicks as presented to us then we can discuss what they look like. I suspect they are blackbird chicks. What happened to the Bright blue eggs isn't certain.
Last year i had Pied Flycatcher fledglings being fed by one male Great Tit (and the PFC parents); Why? The PFC killed his mate and built his nest on top of her (confirmed later when i cleaned the nesting Box.) Things sometimes happen right under Our noses and we sometimes we dont notice.

Peter

If the male is feeding then that is quite unusual. It's known for female mammals that lose young to take in young of another species if it happens very soon after birth but I'm not sure if that's the case with birds, whose birth process is somewhat different.

Hello from A newbie....I have some Dunnocks nesting with three/four chicks that are now being fed by a Blackbird and i have not seen the Dunnock parents for two days.The Blackbird is doing an excellent job but is this unusual and will they fledge etc ?..THANKS ! :h?:
I too am a newbie😉. I don't know the answer to your question but interestingly this morning I saw one of three fledgling blackbirds being fed by either a dunnock or a bunting, I think the latter. Daddy blackbird was also hopping around the garden with the dunnock / bunting gathering juicy worms - I also am unclear if this is unusual or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back