• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Folks..Thank you for the opportunity to share and learn. (2 Viewers)

Boonehawks

United States
I have a question that I am hoping to get answered. This afternoon while enjoying the last mow for the season in Upstate NY Adirondack Park (West Side) I noticed a bird I have never seen before. The fresh cut grass must have invited it in for a snack.. It had a real long and pointed beak. A reddish cap on the back of its head.. About the size of a healthy Robin. On the chest was a very vivid Black Plate..the top being about 1.5 in evenly slopping down to the bottom about an inch and the bottom was also about an inch..Under its tail was white and the lower section was colored like a partridge and the upper back was a beautiful dark brown with circles outlined with black trim.
The bottom was also tan and light brown with circles. I am very unfamiliar with the correct terminology but very interested in learning.

First off, a warm welcome to you and hope you enjoy your time with us :)

It's too bad you didn't get a pic of it as I can't figure out what it might be.

BTW, I spent all my young & teenage years in a cabin we had on the Beaverkill River near Roscoe NY.
Next time you go out grab your cell phone or camera in case you come by the bird again. A pic always helps ;)

In the mean time why don't you copy your first post and post if in the Bird I D section which you can find here; Just start a new thread.

Hi Boonehawks and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I am very unfamiliar with the correct terminology but very interested in learning.
This is a link to our Topography article in our Opus section: Topography - BirdForum Opus this will help you with naming the various parts of a bird.

If you ever get stuck with understanding a word when reading a thread, we have a Dictionary as well - just click on the Opus tab above and enter Dictionary in the search bar, it is now in 4 sections so you can choose which part of the alphabet you want.

Meantime I'm going to move this thread to the Identification forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

My first thought was a Flicker. I would suggest going to Google and post all Flickers in your area and click on the ones that look familiar to the ones you saw.

First off, a warm welcome to you and hope you enjoy your time with us :)

It's too bad you didn't get a pic of it as I can't figure out what it might be.

BTW, I spent all my young & teenage years in a cabin we had on the Beaverkill River near Roscoe NY.
Next time you go out grab your cell phone or camera in case you come by the bird again. A pic always helps ;)

In the mean time why don't you copy your first post and post if in the Bird I D section which you can find here; Just start a new thread.

Northern Flicker... Thank you for the assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back