• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from central Arkansas! (1 Viewer)

Texas Chic

United States
My interest in joining this website is to find out if anyone can help me identify a most interesting bird that landed on our dock last Friday. We live on a small lake in the midst of a forest, so we get a fair number of birds to watch. Usually they are easily identified, but this one was very unusual: All black from the back, about 9 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches across, it actually looked like a black kitten from the back. I called to my husband to come and look, and just at that moment it flew away. Then I saw the white front, with a solid black horirzontal stripe across the body. It all happened so fast, but I stand by my statement that it looked like a kitten on its haunches from the back.-- a broad body form that went from head to bottom. Any insights are welcome!

Hi Texas Chic and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're probably best able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there TC and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach. (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, canโ€™t help with an ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back