• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from az (1 Viewer)

Hi gill - welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be very happy here! Do let us know what you see in your backyard!

Edited to say - just looked at the calendar for May - great!!!

Last edited:
Hi Gill and welcome aboard to the best wild birding site you will ever find.

You seemed to have hit the nail on the head. Birding truly is an everyday thrill. So what are you feeding your birds and do you have any hummers presently?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I see hummers all year long in Phoenix but I haven't set up a feeder for them yet. Much of my attention has been on the Gambel's Quail that have been feeding for a year. It took months to make them somewhat comfortable at the feeder. Now they expect to be fed and sometimes make calls around the house. A clutch of nine chicks and their parents appeared this week, they already fly. I have some photos and videos from last Spring here. Enjoy.

Looking at your pics and landscape makes me think that if I were a bird in Arizona, I would be looking for a bird bath!

Most birds in the desert are used to living with so little water that they seek water very rarely. The Quail prefer a dirtbath much more! I use a Nikon Coolpix 995 with a wide-angle adapter for some of the closeups. A DigiSnap timer runs it automatically to keep the photographer from scaring the birds. It also has a handy 40-second video mode for the short videos.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back