• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from bird heaven, Costa Rica!! (1 Viewer)

fede

Hello, people!! Just found out about this page, very glad to be a part of it. Coming to Costa Rica? Ask me for tips
Anyone from/been to Baja California, Mexico? Need some tips myself
Nice meetig you!, Federico

Hola, Federico!

Welcome to the forum. What a fortunate friend to meet. We were justing talking on another thread about cooperative trip organization, and Costa Rica would be an excellent destination.

Thank you, of course I would love you to come visit my beautiful country. However, although I do have knowledge of great places (some of which I´ve visited, others I haven´t) I may not be present: in mid-august my wife and me shall move to Baja California. Again, very nice meeting all of you, I discovered this page today and I am thrilled and amazed about it.

Federico, welcome!

My sister and brother-in-law have just returned from Guatamala and Costa Rica, and really loved it there. They even got to see Arenal erupt at night!

We're glad to have you on the forum, and hope to hear more about your beautiful country before you leave.

But it'll be great to hear about Baja, too! So, be sure to stay connected, OK?

About 110-120 km south of San Diego, on the coast. There doesn't seem to be anyone birding over there, so I'll just "wing it"

Welcome fede
I have visited Cotsa Rica and it really is the place to watch birds. Really enjoyed our trip and hope to return one day.

Federico

Firstly, welcome to BF! I have been to Costa Rica and I loved it; the people are friendly, the food was good and the birds wonderful. When I went to Mexico I was robbed by a policeman so, take care!

Dave

Well, everyday birds here are the great-tailed grackle (considered a noisy pest), the clay-colored robin, and the rufous-collared sparrow (in the gallery). Most likely they are the first ones you see when you get here. Here in Escazú, a somewhat forested suburb of San José, common sightings include the red-billed pigeon, montezuma oropendola (big & beautiful) sometimes associated with brown jay (noisy but nice), blue-gray tanager, blue & white swallow, blue-crowned motmot, grayish saltator (very nice song), orange chinned parakeet (more often heard than seen) crimson-fronted parakeet & rufous-tailed hummingbird.
It's a pity in spite of our hummer diversity only this one shows up regularly in urban areas of the Central Valley. Rare things here include a green heron, a white-crowned parrot juvenile hanging out with a flock of crimsons (poor thing, I thought it was a sick crimson!-pale skin around eye), and a female american redstart

Forgot to mention house & plain wren. I started a thread on Costa Rica birding hotspots in the News, Views & Locations forum. Hope you like it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back