• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Brighton, England (2 Viewers)

Scout91

United Kingdom
Hello I'm John, nice forum you have here!

I'm a groundsman at a large site and thought educating myself on birds is a good move. Since I started the job last year I cleared a fence of thick shrubbery in December which I noticed had old and current small nests in, two of which had fresh bird poop beneath them. I didn't really think anything of it but did feel a bit bad once I had completed the job. It was then voiced to me over the coming days after that what I had done was wrong by a few members employed on the site. One even donated 10 bird boxes and told me where to hang each one which I did.

Since then I have been putting out wild bird feed at work with mixed results, but recently wanted to do more at home to help. So i've erected a bird bath, a sunflower feeder (dehusked) and a mealworm (soaked) feeder outside my bedroom window. The attention I've received is extremely positive to the point its almost overwhelming. I seem to have only one client though which I've identified as the blackbird. They come as a hoard, or sorry flock! Even though i've only had the mealworm feeder up a couple days the contents are getting demolished, I literally put about 80g of mealworm out this morning at 8 and already by 10am its completely gone. There's a lot of fighting over the food aswell.

So just wanted general tips on if I'm doing anything wrong. Is it possible to over feed the birds? Should I establish more feeders so more birds can feed at once since they come in a flock? I've got another 100g of mealworms soaking now and will put them out in a bit, this is getting a little expensive though!

Also, recommendations on cleaning bird poop. It's everywhere!

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• birds1.png
    birds1.png
    795.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi John and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. You can't really feed birds too much, or too little. They'll always find resources somewhere to eat from. The worst part about feeding too much is the waste! Just feed what you can afford. Having more feeders may avoid some squabbling (young Starlings are particularly bad for this LOL)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

First of all, it’s perfectly acceptable to clear shrubs in December as birds are not nesting then. The time to avoid clearing hedges is March to October.

Those birds look like rooks which do come to feeders in flocks. Blackbirds tend to be ground feeders.

I'm not sure what they are but the lighting is bad in that picture. I'm new to this so I'll get you a video with better lighting.

Blackbirds don't come in flocks.

A bit blurry, but these are likely to be Starlings and quite possibly just out of the nest (I've been overloaded with them recently).

Yes, now I can see your video... quite definitely Starlings.

I see you're from Brighton. I don't know if it still happens but Brighton Pier is/was a well know hot spot for winter Starling murmurations,

This is when they perform spectacular aerial displays just before dusk. They then swoop down to settlle down on the pier railings for the night.

I see you're from Brighton. I don't know if it still happens but Brighton Pier is/was a well know hot spot for winter Starling murmurations,

This is when they perform spectacular aerial displays just before dusk. They then swoop down to settlle down on the pier railings for the night.
I didnt take any notice of birds until recently but you are right not only around Brighton pier but Brighton in general we have great displays of birds at times!

Oh that's good news.

You never, ever, forget the first sighting of these murmurations and always hope you may see another.

Hi there John and a warm welcome to you! (y)
Glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back