• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from India @ Together as One! (1 Viewer)

CRKSPS

India
Hello and greetings from India!

I’ll be grateful if anyone can let me know which are these two birds which I sighted near my house . The smaller one seen , a pair , is building its nest inside the window of the bedroom. I tried locating in the bird identifying apps , no luck ! The bigger bird when it took to flight , resembled color and pattern of a kingfisher. However , as can be seen , it’s beak and body profile doesn’t match as much with a kingfisher .

The pair of tiny birds building their nest inside the window , flew and sat besides this relatively big bird , comfortable and very much at ease .

Closest I could zero in for the pair was as kind of a match with the fox sparrow! However fox sparrow is mainly sighted in North America and Canada, as highlighted in the enclosure . The pair of song birds have a very soft subtle delicate chirp which they match with their moods and time , as they go about building their nest! It’s been a week now , they are doing beautiful team work , together as one , singing in their happiness of building their home , with team spirit!

Anyone can help , it will be wonderfully kind !Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1975.png
    IMG_1975.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1987.jpeg
    IMG_1987.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1986.jpeg
    IMG_1986.jpeg
    895.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1988.jpeg
    IMG_1988.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    947.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi CRKSPS and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum as they're better placed to be able to help you. The first one looks like a Munia sp, possibly Chestnut.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi CRKSPS and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum as they're better placed to be able to help you. The first one looks like a Munia sp, possibly Chestnut.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you Delia !!

Magical , all the help! I have a video of the munias that I took the day before , going about building their nest . Will post

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.
Thank you! I am sure I will , and have already been doing such , seeing the help !
Of course!
Hadn't heard of that species before- thanks for the insight.
Same here . First for me too! Thank you to the forum and the spirit of sharing .
I had to consult this fishy-looking source: Indo-Chinese Roller: Tale of a 'new bird' (but later compared it with pictures), regarding the presence/absence of the terminal tail band because an Indiochinese Roller's wing pattern is, to me, deceptively similar to that of Indian Roller.

(EDIT: A recent split.)
Looks very much as the Indian Roller !
I

Agreed- the wing patterns on an Indian roller are quite unique.
try Scaly-breasted Munia - BirdForum Opus and Indian Roller - BirdForum Opus
And welcome to the forum from me as well.

PS I might be wrong.
Dead right! Amazing to see the wealth of knowledge that all of you have ! Reflects that apps are not good as compared to humans ! Just as machines however much complex and sophisticated, yet can not out do those who built them !

Thank you once again for identifying the pair of tiny birds as scale breasted munia ! A video that I could manage to take is here . After a few days while keeping back in place a few fallien straws , I thought at first it was a tiny pebble near the window sill . I was astonished, instead , it was an egg that had rolled out ! Immediately after taking this picture , ever so slowly I kept it back deep in ! Let’s hope and see if any surprises come our way !

Sanjay

p.s: unfortunately I am not able to upload the video of 23 seconds showing the pair going about building their nest . Says , file too large .

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Great you managed to put the egg back in. No worries about the film, I think one generally wouldn't upload videos of nesting birds anyway, because allowing it would encourage certain people to behave irresponsibly and disturb birds. That the munias decided to build a nest on your window sill speaks of the fact that they feel safe and comfortable around you--I hope that everything is fine with the unfortunate egg and that the chick will hatch just fine. (y)

That’s true . Imagine somebody taking a video of couple getting things ready for intimacy , and posting it ! Not fair !!

The egg , yes , the same thought coursed through the mind , that hopefully nothing has happened, and a hatchling will greet the rising sun .

Thank you for the words of kindness and encouragement.

Sanjay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back